23

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE
IMPOSSIBLE

CHAPTER TWENTY THREEIMPOSSIBLE

Montana's heart was pounding.

She sat slumped against Jacob's bedroom wall, knees cradled close to her chest, tears trailing down her face. Jacob was crouched in front of her, his thumb gently grazing against her cheeks, brushing away the tears that fell.

"Montana," he spoke softly. Montana was under the illusion that he was very calm, but Jacob's pulse was also racing at a million miles an hour. "Montana, breathe."

"What the hell is happening to me?" She choked out, looking up at him with terrified eyes. "What did I do?"

"I don't know," Jacob answered honestly, his voice still remaining gentle, despite the sheer panic flooding his entire system.

Jake's head was all over the place, and all he could seem to do was replay the moment the lights shattered, over and over again.

Right now, he was torn between two minds. Jacob's first instinct had obviously been to get her straight into Dakota's car, away from Alice and back home on their own territory. He had originally wanted to take her straight to Sam and Emily's, but Montana was so freaked out that he realised he needed to sit and calm her down first.

She refused to go home, adamant that she couldn't face seeing her parents in the state she was in, so, the only other place to take her was his house. Fortunately, Billy was still with the Clearwaters, which would give them enough time to try and set their heads straight.

Except it had been almost an hour, and, still, none of them had any idea what to do.

Dakota looked up from where she'd been pacing the room back and forth, biting down on her black painted fingernails. "Okay, what if it was just some kind of freak coincidence?"

"Jake turns into a shape-shifting werewolf. Bella is dating a fucking vampire. Magic is...real. I think we are way beyond the point of denying the supernatural goings on in Forks, Dakota!"

Jacob's expression softened as he met Montana's tear-filled eyes. "We're gonna figure this out." His hand cupped the side of her face, resting underneath her ear. With his thumb, he carefully brushed away the hair that was matted against Montana's tear stained cheeks. "I promise you. We'll figure this out."

Montana breathed in deeply, nodding her head. The sincerity in Jacob's voice made Dakota finally stop pacing, a faint smile almost threatening to cross her lips at the sight of the two of them.

Jacob's concerned eyes only left Montana's when his phone buzzed in his pocket. His hand dropped back to his side, reaching for the device. He flipped it open, barely pausing to read who was calling, before he answered.

"Hey, Embry, this isn't a good time."

Whatever Embry was saying on the other line had made Jacob get back to his feet, taking a few steps away from Montana.