20

CHAPTER TWENTY
THE NEW GIRL

Montana sat in the diner, grinning innocently at Quil from the other side of the table

Montana sat in the diner, grinning innocently at Quil from the other side of the table. She reached across to steal a few fries from his plate, quickly drawing her hand back before he could stop her.

"I'm this close to complaining to your boss and getting you fired," Quil warned her.

"Ugh, they just taste so good," she moaned through her mouth-full. "Plus, I haven't eaten since breakfast."

"Montana, it's, like, six-thirty in the evening," Quil pointed out, his eyebrows furrowing in concern for his friend.

Her stomach rumbled loudly in response. "I know." Without another word, Quil pushed the plate across the table, holding back a chuckle as he noticed the way her whole expression brightened. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah." He shrugged his shoulders. "I'm not that hungry anyway."

It seemed to be an acceptable enough answer for Montana, who didn't waste another second before stuffing her mouth with more fries. "God, I love you."

Quil cheeks flushed in embarrassment. "I know."

"So, what's up with you?" Montana asked, reaching for the ketchup bottle. "You seem kinda lost in thought."

Quil shrugged again, staring down at the table to avoid her gaze. Sometimes he hated the way she knew him so well. "It...it's nothing"

"Oh, come on, you know you can always talk to me," Montana encouraged him, resting her elbows on the table.

Quil released a heavy breath, his lips parting to speak, until he hesitated. "I-" He sighed in frustration. Montana waited patiently. "Okay, fine. There's this girl..."

Her eyes almost bulged out of her head at the revelation, and, having chosen an unfortunate moment to have a drink, she began to choke on her orange juice. Montana quickly placed the glass back down on the table, wiping her lips with the back of her hand. Once she'd recovered, a teasing grin curved on her lips, eyebrows arching in curiosity. "A girl?! Tell me everything!"

Quil groaned, his head falling into his hands. "I shouldn't have said anything."

"Dude, don't leave me hanging!" Montana exclaimed. "What's her name? How did you meet? Is she from the Rez? Do I know her? Does she–"

"Stop!" Quil placed his palms down on the table, causing it to wobble. Montana gave him her trademark innocent smile, dipping her fries into ketchup before taking a bite. "Okay, her name is Dina. She lives in Forks. You don't know her, thank god. And we met because she's tutoring me for English."

The grin on Montana's lips practically lifted her entire expression. "Cute."

"I like her, I just..." he trailed off, scratching the back of his neck. "I don't know if she'd ever see me that way."