18

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
IN REACH

Montana sat silently in the truck bed, a scowl etched across her face

The whole duration of the journey to Emily's had been filled with Jared's booming laughter, the boy far too amused by Montana's irritation with Bella. She wasn't the type of person to usually get so riled, and it was rare that something did bother her that much, but when it did, that anger would simmer for hours.

"Jared, will you please shut up."

"I didn't say anything!"

Montana released an audible huff of defeat, folding her arms across her chest. Jared couldn't help but grin over at his friend, thinking about how much the imprint bond must have been affecting Montana without her even realising.

The rest of the journey was mostly silent, punctured by the occasional snicker from Jared, which would promptly be quietened by a harsh glare from Montana. When the truck finally pulled up outside Emily's, she felt complete relief wash over her. The calming aura of Emily's home, and the gentle woman herself, might have been the only thing to possibly de-escalate Montana's frustrations.

Jared hopped down from the truck, him and Embry calling out to let Emily know they'd arrived. He held a hand out for Montana, helping her to the ground.

Meanwhile, Bella didn't move, rolling down her window to shout out to them. "Hey, I think we should go back and see if Jacob's okay."

Jared scoffed. "I hope Paul sinks some teeth into him, serves him right." He purposely directed his smirk over to Montana.

"No way, Jacob's a natural." Embry held back a smile as he caught the furious stare Montana sent Jared. "You see him phase on the fly?"

"Nah, that's only 'cause Mon was there," Jared dismissed, ruffling her hair. She batted his hand away, patience thinning.

"I got five saying Paul doesn't touch him," Embry said, raising his eyebrows.

"Oh, you're on."

As they reached the screen doors, the boys looked over their shoulders, watching Bella hover by the safety of the truck.

"Come on in Bella, we don't bite."

"Speak for yourself," Jared muttered. He slung his arm over Montana's shoulder, and the two of them headed indoors.

"Hi, Montana!" Emily greeted with a cheerful smile, a freshly baked plate of muffins in her hands. "It's so great to see you again!"

"Hey, Em."

"You guys hungry?" She asked them. Jared and Embry didn't say a word, making a beeline towards the food. "Like I have to ask."

Emily turned to Montana, expecting to share an amused look with her, but noticed the younger girl's unusually stony features. She frowned, lips parting to question the younger girl, when the unexpected sight of Bella lingering uncomfortably in the doorway stopped her.