03

CHAPTER THREE
STOP AND STARE

Word spread quickly about Bella Swan's disappearance

Montana stood outside of the Swan household, huddled between Jacob, Embry and Quil. Since she hadn't gotten the chance to go home and change first, she was still dressed in her work attire, now with the addition of Jacob's hoodie. The boys had tried to radiate as much heat between them as possible, mostly for Montana's sake, but the longer the night went on, the further the temperature dropped.

Montana's parents had arrived shortly after she'd called to tell them what was happening, both of them incredibly worried for their close friend's daughter. Dakota had turned up a little while after them, profusely apologising for the amount of calls and messages she hadn't responded to, since her phone had been off all evening – turns out she hadn't been with Bella after all.

Charlie was falling apart the longer that time went on, and there wasn't much anybody could do to comfort him. Nothing had been heard from those who had gone into the woods to search for her, leaving morale to slowly dwindle. After the recent animal attacks in Forks, an understandable amount of worry about Bella had coaxed a lot of people out of their houses to help figure out what happened to her; the number had practically doubled since Montana had first arrived.

Dakota had looked like she was going to throw up the moment she arrived, her face completely drained of colour. She'd felt terrible for missing what had gone on, and had started to blame herself for not being there for Bella to talk when she needed her to. The two girls had grown closer since Bella had been back in Forks, and Dakota had always promised her she'd be someone to rely on whenever she needed. And tonight, she'd broken that promise.

Montana didn't have much room in her mind to allow curiosity to get the better of her when her cousin showed up with Diane's older sister Ivy, but between worrying about Bella she couldn't help but wonder how and when the two girls had met.

Diane's father, who worked in the force alongside Charlie, had arrived fairly swiftly despite being off duty, with Diane and her mother in tow.

The blonde had made a beeline for Montana the moment she spotted her, flinging her arms around her neck. "Has there been any news?"

Montana shook her head, a somber look etching across her face, sending Diane's hopeful expression fading. She'd been growing restless at the amount of time that had passed with no word on Bella whatsoever, and had felt herself slowly being driven insane by the fact that there was nothing she could do to help. She'd even suggested the idea to her parents about a group of them helping search the woods, but had been shut done by most of the Quileute adults who stated they didn't want anyone else getting lost or harmed.

"God, this is horrible," Diane commented, pulling her white cardigan tighter around her frame. She'd had the chance to change out of their mucky diner uniforms, and wash the grease and diner smell out of her hair. Montana tugged nervously on the sleeves of Jacob's grey hoodie, which practically reached her knees due to their height difference. "Have you four been here all night?" Diane asked, looking up to acknowledge the boys in her question.