19

CHAPTER NINETEEN
HEARTBEATS

Montana sat quietly at her desk, focused on the English essay she was desperately trying to finish before it's due date

Across the room, Dakota lay sprawled across the bed, idly flicking through a magazine. "Tana," she spoke, lifting her eyes up from the page. "Have you noticed one of the boys outside the house at night?"

"Huh?" Montana mumbled, not entirely listening. Her forehead creased as she read through to the end of her paragraph, suppressing a heavy sigh of exasperation.

"A few weeks ago, I came back late and saw one of them in wolf form. I think they were watching over the house," Dakota began to explain. "I just assumed they were keeping an eye on us, because we'd only just found out about...you know, vampires and stuff."

"Maybe they check up on us sometimes after patrol," Montana said with a small shrug. Not really thinking much of what Dakota was saying, Montana's attention returned to rewording her sentence.

"No." Dakota dismissed, sitting up properly. "No, I don't think it's that. They're out there every night. Always on this side of the house, by the tree line."

"What colour fur?"

Dakota raised her eyebrows. "You can distinguish them by fur colour?"

"Obviously," Montana scoffed. "Jake is, like, a rusty brown colour, Embry is–"

"Okay, you spend way too much time with them," Dakota interjected. "And I can never see the colour, it's always too dark."

"Well, why don't you go out and say hi next time," Montana suggested to her.

Dakota gave her an unimpressed look. "Why would they be watching over us every night?" She wondered. Minimising the word document on her screen, Montana swivelled round in her chair, crossing her legs as she faced Dakota properly. "I mean, is it just because of Victoria?"

Montana was certain that the red haired vampire was one of the main reasons the pack had been so protective recently. They'd set up  patrol shifts, taking turns watching over Bella's house. It had meant that they were exhausted, though. And yet, for some reason, they still insisted on one of them driving her home from work whenever her shift ended late, despite the fact that Dakota was entirely capable. Montana had initially thought that they might lessen up on the extreme protection details over time, but she and Dakota were now catching rides with Jared and Kim to school and back every day too.

The pack was coming to school in shifts too, but even Jacob was back now. Sadly, it was becoming a rare sight to see all of them there at the same time. Montana's heart ached whenever she watched them together at lunch, or hanging around the lockers, silently wishing she could be part of it. Quil did, however, seem to be close to phasing, and Sam said it could be any day now, so the boys were watching him like a hawk.