10

CHAPTER TEN
3AM

"Hey, I know it's, like, super, super late and all, but I can't find Diane and I'm bored so I thought I'd call you

"Hey, I know it's, like, super, super late and all, but I can't find Diane and I'm bored so I thought I'd call you..."

Jacob ran a hand over his face in exhaustion, heavy eyelids trying to force themselves closed. He propped himself up in bed, a yawn escaping past his lips as he leaned over, checking the time on his digital clock. 3am.

"You okay?" Jacob asked into the phone, his voice raspy. He could hear the distant sound of music thumping in the background, his sleepy state of mind reminding him where Montana was.

"I'm bored," Montana replied with a huff. Jacob could imagine her sat in a corner alone, arms folded, pout on her face. A small smile began to tug at his lips at the thought. "Getting drunk isn't as fun as people say it is."

"Where's Diane?"

"Not sure," Montana replied nonchalantly. "I think she went off with Brad?"

Jacob frowned. "Who's Brad?"

"Oh, some guy," Montana said in disinterest. "Quarterback. Tall. Dark. Handsome." She paused. "Not as handsome as you, obviously." Jacob let out a breathy laugh as Montana giggled. Their laughter settled, and silence began to lapse between them. "Jake?"

"Yeah?"

"I miss you."

"I miss you too."

Montana sighed to herself. "This would be more fun if you were here."

"You're not having fun?" He asked in concern, sitting up properly. "Want me to pick you up?"

"I think I'm just a sad drunk," Montana said, the slurring of her words forcing Jacob to hold back an amused chuckle. "I keep thinking about things that make me sad. It's like that...that hole in my chest. Alcohol just makes it feel a million times bigger."

Jacob sighed. "Mon..."

"I just miss Embry so much," she whispered tearfully, the small crack in her voice crushing Jacob. "I don't get it. Why did he leave us?"

"I don't know," Jacob replied truthfully. He'd been running the same question through his own mind for weeks now. Montana wasn't the only one hurting about Embry, but she was sure as hell the one taking it the hardest. "But he's not worth getting upset over."

Montana let out a watery laugh. "How did you know I was crying?"

"Because I know you," Jacob replied softly, his heart sinking at the thought. "Look, don't think about Embry right now, it's not worth it. You should go have some fun."

"Yeah." Montana breathed out heavily. "I know. I'm sorry for bothering you."

"You could never bother me," Jacob told her, his voice lowering with sincerity. "Never."