05

CHAPTER FIVE
KINDNESS

A week later, Montana was on her weekend shift at the diner

A week later, Montana was on her weekend shift at the diner. The evening was drawing closer, made evident by the sudden surge in people entering the diner at around 6 o'clock. She stood quietly, painted fingernails tapping against the kitchen windowsill whilst she waited to receive the food for her tables.

"I'm just saying," Diane spoke from beside her. She had launched into one of her many conspiracy theories about the friendship of Diane's sister, and Dakota. "They've been hanging out a lot recently."

"Well, Kotes doesn't really have that many friends so." Montana shrugged her shoulders. "Maybe it's a good thing."

"Yeah but–" Diane released a breath, sparing a glance over her shoulder at the crowded diner behind them.

Dakota was sat in the most hidden corner of the diner, working hard on an essay for her history class. She had a half-empty mug beside her, which Montana had been continuously refilling with coffee over the past few hours. Montana couldn't even begin to imagine the level of caffeine in her cousin's body.

Jacob sat in the seat opposite Dakota, going through a maths worksheet as quietly as possible, so not to disturb her – though he was now chomping away at his food, loud enough for almost the entire diner to hear.

"Look, it makes sense," Diane continued on "They've both been sketchy recently."

"Perhaps they've joined a cult," Montana suggested with a deadpan expression.

Diane's eyes widened at the suggestion, whirling around to face Montana properly again. "You think they've joined a cult?!"

Montana chuckled at her reaction, shaking her head dismissively. "I was just kidding, Di. I highly doubt that's the case."

"So, the only reasonable explanation is that they're..." Diane trailed off, raising her eyebrows. "You know."

"I'm not speculating anything," Montana told her pointedly, though Diane had been making a pretty good case all day. It couldn't be denied that Dakota and Ivy had been spending an awfully large amount of time together over the past month.

Dakota was a terrible liar, Montana knew that very well, so whenever Dakota averted her gaze from her younger cousin's questioning eyes, or the corner of her mouth twitched when she gave her a deliberately vague answer, Montana could only assume her older cousin was hiding something. Turns out, Diane had been going through a similar thing with her own sister, and after hearing Montana's side of the story, and putting both sides together, even going to the extent of matching up times and locations, she'd come up with one very viable theory.

"I mean, Ivy's never said anything specifically, but she's had a lot of 'friends'," Diane said, making a point to use air quotes. "That have been, you know, girls, come and go."