06

CHAPTER SIX
VIEW

"Do you think I could take Embry in a fight?"

Jacob barely even spared a glance at Montana, answering the question without much thought. "Probably," he said, attention taken up by the motorcycle he was fixing. "Why?"

Montana's lips twitched into satisfied grin. She leaned down to pick up the wrench beside her feet, holding it out towards Jacob mere seconds before he craned his head around the bike, about to ask for the exact tool. His eyebrows quirked as he took it from her hands, a brief smile crossing his lips.

"Well, Embry doesn't think I'm strong enough," Montana began to explain. "He said  it's a known fact that men are biologically stronger than women, so I said 'do you want me to punch you in the face to prove that?' Obviously, he said no. But he still thinks I wouldn't be able to take him."

"Embry is all talk," Jacob said. "You could totally take him."

"And you'll tell him that when he gets here later?"

A faint grin appeared on his lips as he chuckled, looking up at her. "I'll be sure to let him know."

"Good."

Montana sat on top of a rusty orange toolbox, watching quietly as Jacob continued working. To everybody's relief, Bella Swan has finally left her house last week. After Montana's offer at the diner, back when she'd seen a very defeated looking Charlie, Bella had decided to approach her friends on the Rez for some company.

Last weekend, Dakota and Montana took her for dinner in an effort to cheer her up, though it had become quickly apparent that Bella only really seemed to be doing it to please the two girls and Charlie. The most alive Montana had actually seen Bella in a long time was on Monday, when she approached Jacob with two motorcycles from the junk yard and persuaded him to fix them up with her.

Jacob had spent all week working on the project, which meant the only times that Montana had actually seen him was school and when he picked her up after her shift at the diner. By the time the weekend came around, she was fed up with spending practically every waking hour with Quil and Embry and instead decided to invite herself to Jacob's, where she found him alone in the garage, already working on the bikes.

The radio was on faintly in the background, their conversation occasionally filling the air, though both of them were perfectly happy to sit in comfortable silence. The quietness in the garage meant that she could hear every mutter of profanity under Jacob's breath, every huff of annoyance when something went wrong, and every single time he placed a tool down harsher than usual against the ground in frustration. She could see his eyebrows furrowed in concentration, lips pursed together in thought. It made her smile that he cared so much about what he was doing, something they both knew would please Bella, give her something to look forward to.