16

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
BUTTERFLIES

CHAPTER SIXTEEN BUTTERFLIES

"How could you?!"

Quil slammed his books down on the table, the loud thud capturing the attention of those around them. Montana flinched at the abruptness, her head snapping up from the essay she'd been writing. Quil's palms were flat down on the table, his eyes narrowed and lips pressed together tightly. Montana blinked up at him. "Woah, what's wrong?"

"What's wrong?" He repeated sarcastically. "Like you don't know, Montana."

She swallowed hard, drawing back from him slightly. "Quil..."

Across the cafeteria, Embry was on his feet, already halfway across the room. Jared and Paul scrambled after him, all three of them harbouring the exact same thoughts.

"I saw you," Quil continued accusingly.

Montana's worries eyes darted around her, noticing the stares they were receiving. "Quil, please just calm down," she said gently. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Is there something wrong with me?" Quil asked, his voice faltering. "Did I do something?"

"Quil–

"I saw you getting into Embry's truck the other day!" He snapped. "So much for us two sticking together, huh?"

Montana's heart dropped, her eyes softening as she met his betrayed stare. Everything made sense now. "Quil, can we talk about this somewhere else?"

"No." He shook his head, his jaw clenching. "No, there's nothing to talk about. I get it, you guys just don't want me around."

"No, Quil, please," Montana's voice caught in the back of her throat. She hurried to her feet, reaching out towards him, but he stepped back, avoiding her. "I'm sorry okay? But it's not what you think, I promise. Just–"

"You've been lying to me this whole time–"

"Is everything ok?"

Montana stilled upon Kim Connweller's calm voice. She breathed in deeply, nodding her head as she turned to face the girl.

"We're fine," Quil answered sharply.

"Okay, well..." Kim trailed, glancing uncomfortably around them. "A lot of people are staring right now. Maybe you guys should–"

Quil scoffed, practically shoving the table backwards before he stalked away from them. Montana jolted, stepping aside when the furniture almost smacked into her. Kim placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, the pair of them watching as Quil stormed out of the building.

"Montana," Embry was in front of her within seconds, concerned brown eyes searching hers. "Are you okay?" Montana stared up at him. "Montana–"

"Is he about to shift?" Kim asked quietly as Jared came to her side, his arm sneaking around her waist. "Is that why he's so angry?"