27

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN
OBLIVIOUS

"It's like my whole life has been a lie

"It's like my whole life has been a lie."

Embry sat quietly on the edge of the bed, his attentive eyes soft with concern as he watched Montana pace the length of his room.

She'd turned up at his house late in the evening, and completely unannounced. In all honesty, he kind of wished she'd sent him a warning text, so he could sort out the messy state of his room and avoid embarrassment – alas, Montana assured him she'd seen worse.

Her clothes were soaking wet from the heavy rainfall, the material clinging so tightly to Montana's skin that Embry actually felt physically uncomfortable for her.

His mom had taken one look at her appearance, including the tear/rain (he wasn't sure which, probably both) streaked mascara disaster – Embry was going to tell her about it at some point, but he wasn't entirely sure she would take kindly to it, so decided to wait until she was a bit calmer. Anyway, Tiffany had ushered her indoors immediately, made her a sandwich, got her some clean clothes, and tried to get her to open up, which, after knowing Montana for almost his entire life, Embry knew wasn't an easy task.

Now, she was in his room, dressed in a pair of his old sweatpants and his Nickelback T-Shirt, freaking the hell out about the fact that she'd had her witchy genes hidden from her. Truthfully, Embry wasn't entirely sure of the full story; he'd tried to catch as much as possible from her rambling, but it was proving to be quite complicated.

What he did understand, though, was that it meant that shape-shifters weren't the only protectors in La Push. And, personally, Embry thought that was fucking awesome.

So, he said exactly that. "You know, this is cool as fuck."

Montana halted in the middle of the room, turning around to face him with a firm expression. "What?"

"Mon, you're even more badass than we thought!" He clarified, getting to his feet. Montana stared blankly at him as Embry stopped in front of her, placing his hands on her shoulders. His touch prompted her to lower them, the tension she'd held relaxing the tiniest of amounts. "This is awesome."

"Embry, I have absolutely no idea how to control this," she reminded him, shaking her head. "I mean, what if I accidentally hurt somebody? There are a million and one different reasons why this is definitely not cool!"

"Hey, we'll figure it out," he told her in a gentle voice, squeezing her shoulders comfortingly. "Your parents will help you. Kaia and your uncle are gonna come back. And we'll do loads of research between us. This is gonna be okay."

Montana lowered her head, a heavy sigh leaving her lips. "What if it's not?" She asked quietly, looking back up at him with tearful eyes. "What if it's not okay?"