24

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR
INSINUATIONS

When Montana woke the next morning, Jacob's arms were still wrapped around her

The first thing she remembered was that Harry Clearwater was dead. Leah and Seth would be grieving their father's passing, and coming to terms with their newfound shape-shifting abilities. Sue would be sorting arrangements for a funeral that shouldn't be happening, and wouldn't be happening if it wasn't for Victoria, or the Cullens, or Bella.

Montana could feel herself growing angrier at the thoughts plaguing her mind. She couldn't help thinking about how easily Bella had disappeared with Alice Cullen last night, without a second thought or regard for anybody that cared for her. Because Edward was all that mattered.

It was hard for Montana to wrap her head around that; Bella loving somebody that had brought so much trouble into her own life, and consequently everybody else's. Vampires were the reason that Harry Clearwater was dead. They were the reason that the people Montana loved, were forced, by their own genes, to phase into shape-shifting wolves. Perhaps they were even the reason that she too had unknown and unexplored powers.

Jacob had sensed that Montana was awake from the change in her demeanour. Her shoulders had stiffened, muscles in her body tightening as she gritted her teeth in annoyance. "Montana?" He whispered, his fingers grazing down the side of her arm. Upon his gentle touch, Jacob could feel the hairs raise from her skin. "You okay?"

Montana remained still and silent for a few moments longer, before she finally shifted her body, turning to face him.  They had ended up somewhat spooning in the night, which would have been nice if Jacob's arm hadn't been trapped underneath her. He had been too worried about waking her up from a needed rest, so didn't dare move an inch until she had.

The other side of Montana's head rested against the pillow they shared, her face inches away from his. Jacob's chest ached as his gaze locked with her tearful eyes. He reached a hand out, stroking away a few of the dark curls that had matted against her face.

Jacob wasn't sure that there was anything he could possibly say, or do, that would make things feel any easier. It was hurting him to know that she was upset, and there was nothing he could do to take any of the pain away from her. If he could, he would do, in a heartbeat.

Montana eyes fluttered closed at the feeling of Jacob's warm touch against her skin, his calm presence already beginning to soothe her mind.

"Everything's gonna be okay," he reassured softly.

If anybody else had told her that, Montana probably wouldn't have believed them, but the way Jacob spoke the words, as if he would see to it himself to make everything right again, made the promise feel like one of the most convincing things she'd ever heard.