𝙴𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝

Despite the horrible circumstances I was having 10% fun. I walked out to alaric sat on his own.

"Where's Damon?". I ask.

"His compelled girlfriend wants him to pick her up, he left like 10 minutes ago. How are you feeling?".

"I think I might go, I'm tired". I sigh.

"Hey no no. Why don't you go sit in Damon's room and take a breather". He says holding my shoulder. "come down when you're ready".

"Okay. I'll be down later if I don't pass out". I say and he laughs. I go upstairs saying Thankyou for the happy birthdays from everyone. I get upstairs and lie down. But I fall asleep. It had been a long day emotionally.

I open my eyes back up and it was 3am. The party had died but I hear something from stefans room. I jump up and run in to see Damon trashing it and throwing tables around. I grab his shoulder and he stops. "He killed Andy. Stefan killed her. He's never coming back". He turns around.

"I'm sorry". I hold him to calm him down. He rests his head on mine.

"Happy birthday". He says softly. "I'm sorry it sucked".

"That's okay it's my official birthday today". I take his hand. "You wanna go to bed?". I ask and he walks with me into his room.

"I'm sorry about your mom Annie. I wish I could of done something".

"It's not your fault, all you can do is be there for me Damon". I say rolling to his side and wrapping my arm around him. He kisses my head and I fall asleep on him. "I'm so glad we're best friends again".

"So am I".

—-

I woke up to my phone ringing. "Elena?", I Answer quietly.

"How do you feel like a hike to the Rocky Mountains? Don't tell Damon". She says.

"I need to get my stuff from home I'm at Damon's". I say sitting up slowly. "How long do I have?".

"1 hour. Oh and happy birthday". She says. I end the phone and get up grabbing my dress. I go down stairs and grab a cup of coffee before I leave.

I take stefans car not that he will be needing it And drive home. I wonder how my dad is holding up.

I walk in and see him already up. "Hey dad". I say. "How are you doing?".

"As well as I can be, how was your night?".

"It was... Okay I guess. Elena invited me on a hike today you don't mind if I go do you?".

"No no, you go I think sheriff Forbes wants to speak to me anyway. Happy birthday sweet". He says and I go upstairs to shower and change.

I pack a bag and wait 5 minutes for Elena but my phone rings. "Damon Hey".

"I wondered where you were this morning".

"I just came back to check on my dad", I say and Elena pulls up outside. I point to the phone that it was Damon.

"Bye sweetie see you later". My dad shouts and I shout it back.

"Where are you off?", he asks.

"Uh... shopping. With... Caroline yeah and Elena". I say.

"Well happy birthday and I hope to see you later". He says and I end it.

"What did he say?", she asks.

"Just wishing me happy birthday". I say going to the jeep.

—-

We had been hiking for 20 minutes and alaric was telling when the moon was at its peak so we knew when to leave. "How you feeling?", Elena asks.

"A little better, its just starting to set in what really happened. I just can't stop thinking about it". I say. "her body was just-". I stop my self. "I'm sorry".

"It's terrible, I know. Just keep good company and you'll be okay I promise". She says. "And when we get back we can talk about it".

"Hold that". Alaric hands me a jar.

"Vervain grenade?", I ask.

"Wolfsbane". He says and I tuck it in my bag. "for the werewolves we may or may not encounter".

"Well since were exchanging gifts". Elena pulls out a ring for alaric.

"That's John Gilbert's ring". He says.

"It was yours once. Take it. it'll protect you". She says.

"But he gave it to you". He sighs.

"Yeah but I'm a doppelgänger it won't work on me. He left it if I had kids".

"Well why don't you save it for stubborn relentless baby Gilbert's". He says and I laugh.

"Okay, how about you borrow until we survive this. I'd feel bad if I got you killed before happy hour", she pouts.

"She knows how to throw them back". I laugh and pat his back. He takes the ring and I rest putting my bag down to tie up my hair. Before I knew it I saw Elena fly through the air into the river and then feel myself being thrown in. "Oh my god", I shout at the freezing water. I look up to the tree and see Damon not looking to happy. "She made me!". I shout pointing to Elena.

"hey!".

"Fine. I came willingly". I admit.

"Alaric. You sold us out!", Elena complains.

"You think I'd take you two idiots up to a mountain range full of werewolves on a full moon without supernatural back up?". He says.

"Get out". Damon stresses. "Now".

"Elena no", I moan. I see her walking out. "Damon if we get out you'll make us go home". I say and Elena sits at the rock at the top.

"Yeah. Because I'm not an idiot and I don't have a death wish today".

"You gave up on him Damon", Elena sighs.

"I didn't give up on him. I faced reality. You out of the water".

"No! We need to find him Damon".

"What's your plan Annie", he starts walking to the water. "You gonna sit by the fire roasting marshmallows with a bunch of werewolves while you wait for Stefan to stop by". He comes in and stands infront of me.

"The plan is to find him and help him, we can't just leave him he's alone".

"This is the closest we've been to him I'm not leaving until we find him". Elena sulks.

"Elena. Klaus thinks you died when we broke that curse. That's makes you safe. This, this is not safe".

"I'm not leaving before we find him".

"It's a full moon tonight". He stresses.

"Then we'll find him before then", I say. "Damon please". I look into his eyes and he gives in.

"Fine! But we are out of here before that moon rises or I'm werewolf bait".

"I promsie". I say.

"Unless you wanna relive the whole, death bed kissy thing".

"I said I promise", I say as he walks away. I follow him out the water and we get walking again.

"Death bed kissy thing?", Elena says.

"Shut up!", I say. "We're just friends now".