Chapter Twenty

Dilan's POV

I held the gun Rose had handed to me. I didn't quite figure out why it was heavy in my hand, was it because of the weight of the gun or was it because it was my first time holding a gun and about to face many vampires. I was shaking and I couldn't hold the gun straight and I hated it. I hated how so many people were involved in all of the mess and yet I couldn't even hold a gun let alone fight a vampire. I hated that feeling. I hated that feeling of not being able to control what was going on in my life. All I did was watch as people decided for me, fought my war while I just expected to be protected.

I glanced at Rose. She wasn't the same Rose I knew. She had switched knowing what we were facing. Kairu had said that African Vampires were the most dangerous of all vampires and how Kairu had easily fought her was telling me that she was worried. She was scared but she had masked that under her anger, determination and whatever she was feeling in her. She was like a wild animal, on her dying breath trying to fight for her life.

She had her crossbow which already was mounted with arrows, three of them as her crossbow I realised wasn't like the usual ones. Rose had somehow restructured it so that it could accommodate three arrows at the same time. She wore a special belt that had weapons around. From knives to pistols to grenades, she had them all. She had a quiver of arrows hoisted behind her which was filled with arrows. She was prepared for the worst...

The house was huge and it was dark, the last thing we needed when facing a vampire attack. Rose had realized that and I hoped she was thinking of switching the lights on so that we could at least try and even the odds. Cleopatra had already been a clear demonstration that the vampires were fierce and dangerous at night, they were called creatures of the night for a reason. Vampires could see clearly in the night, they were so fast even for Rose and had good hearing and smelling senses. So if we continued staying in the dark, we wouldn't last a minute.

"We need to switch on the lights of the Mansion," I whispered to Rose who for a moment seemed to have forgotten I was there. She was so focused on the Vampires.

"I know, am already thinking about it," she said to me, her voice as low as possible as the vampires might hear us.

Rose after a while of thinking seemed to have come to a decision. I hoped it was a good one until I heard it.

"Follow me," she said to me and my eyes became wide with surprise. Was she serious? I wasn't about to risk my life with the vampires anywhere in the mansion and we didn't know how many vampires were there.

Rose saw my hesitation and turned at me. "You can remain here if you..." I saw what she meant. I couldn't be left alone and she had to make sure the lights were on so I had to go with her.

"I promised Taylor to forever keep you safe, am not about to break that promise now," she told me and pressed my hand softly as if she too was reassuring herself to.

"I will follow you," I told her. She nodded at my gun and then removed the safety pin. She quickly taught me how to remove it and then we began walking.

At that moment, I didn't like the mansion. It was so dark and huge. It made the situation more dangerous than what it was. The whole mansion was silent and it seemed the whooshing sounds made by the Vampires wasn't there. It made it more dangerous...

Rose held to her crossbow as she walked slowly in the dark hallway. The dark silhouettes from outside made it more creepy but at least Rose was there with me. She knew every inch of the house and she was a skilled fighter.

Luckily, the walk to her father's study was shorter than expected and soon we reached the study. Quickly, Rose rushed to where the switch was and with one flick, the whole house was full of light.