Origin of Annebelle

Most of the movies set in The Conjuring Universe, including Annabelle, are interestingly inspired by true events. The Conjuring movies are based on the case files of famed demonologist couple Ed and Lorraine Warren, who looked into numerous paranormal incidents, including the controversial Amityville haunting. One particular case, the Annabelle doll, has been the subject of three movies in The Conjuring Universe. All three films deal with a different event in the doll's timeline.

It all began with the first movie in the franchise, The Conjuring, which focuses on Ed (Patrick Wilson) and Lorraine Warren (Vera Farmiga) investigating a paranormal case. This comes right off the heels of the Warrens' investigation of the Annabelle doll, which is featured in the movie. The doll received its own spinoff a movie year later, followed by two sequels, Annabelle: Creation in 2017, and most recently, Annabelle Comes Home in 2019. The Annabelle trilogy explored the origin of the doll, how it ended up in the hands of the Warrens, and a purely fictional event that occurred in the Warrens' home.

Of course, since the franchise manages to stretch the doll's story into three movies, liberties are taken with what happened. However, there are portions of Annabelle's story that have some basis in truth despite most of it being fictionalized, and the Annabelle true story itself is actually quite interesting.

According to information gathered by the real-life Warrens, a student nurse named Donna received the Annabelle doll as a gift from her mother in 1968. Donna and her roommate, Angie, began to notice strange paranormal occurrences. It would change positions unexpectedly and show up in different rooms of their apartment. The doll would also leave notes for the girls, with messages like "Help me" scribbled on them. They became alarmed when they found blood dripping from the doll.

Donna and her friend Angie had a medium take a look at it. The medium determined that the doll was possessed by the spirit of a seven-year-old girl named Annabelle Higgins. The medium then explained that Annabelle died in a car accident. Apparently, the child's death took place near Donna's apartment building, which explained why it attached itself to Donna's doll. Donna and Angie, believing that the young girl's spirit would be harmless, agreed to let it live inside the doll. This proved to be a mistake, as it eventually began displaying aggressive behavior that frightened the girls. At one point, it even attacked one of their friends.

The girls contacted the Warrens, who concluded that the spirit haunting the doll was not a seven-year-old child. Instead, it was a demon who had fooled the girls. The Warrens believed that the demon's goal was to acquire Donna's soul. The Warrens solved their problem by taking the doll with them, but they encountered continuous car trouble on the way back to their home. The demon within the doll rejected an exorcism, and in the end, it was put in a glass case in the Warrens' Occult Museum in Connecticut. To this day, Annabelle remains a tourist attraction.