5

\

"Here for the QSU meeting?" a woman with blonde hair, highlighted by blue streaks asks suspiciously. She has a nose ring and looks at Jackson with a challenging raise of her eyebrows. Jackson smiles, despite his immediate unease.

"Yes," Jackson says, grateful to have found the right place.

"Are you an ally?" she asks. Jackson forces a smile.

"No."

"Oh?" She's surprised. They always are. Jackson is seconds away from telling this lady that he, in fact, loves sucking guys off, thank you very much, when someone across the room calls his name.

"Hey, Jackson! So glad you could make it," Hunter says, taking Jackson's arm and steering him away from the woman. He lowers his voice when he speaks again, leaning in close to Jackson. "Her personality can be described like her hair: it's fine except for a few streaks. Come on, let's get food."

Jackson's surprised by how much food piles the long stretch of tables against the walls. The buffet style layout almost wraps around the whole room. The room itself is small for a club meeting, but everyone fits. Jackson thinks this is probably an activity center room for the more creative classes, but besides the tables there is no other furniture, so he can't be sure.

"How was your weekend?" Hunter asks, briskly grabbing a plastic plate and piling a muffin, a banana, and a slice of cheese pizza on it. Jackson grabs a plate and slides on two slices of pepperoni, then starts to walk away before backtracking and taking a third slice. He generously picks through the muffin basket, choosing a raspberry and a poppy seed. Hunter eyes his plate.

"Hungry?"

"I workout."

"Oh I know," Hunter says, looking Jackson up and down. "We all know."

After grabbing some sodas, Hunter leads them outside, almost knocking down the lady with blue streaks in her hair, and they find a table somewhat removed from the rest, giving them space to chat away from the other students.

"Are you majoring in Econ?" Hunter asks lightly to start off the conversation.

"Yeah, but I'm trying to change it." Jackson waits a beat. He doesn't want to be stereotypical—after all, wasn't that his problem with the blue haired lady?—but he just can't see Hunter as an Econ major. "How about you?"

"Econ. Well, I want to go into business. My dad has his own business, and so did his dad, who immigrated from China. So I want to keep the legacy alive, you know?" In Jackson's surprise he doesn't say anything, and Hunter waits expectantly. "Are you good? I know my flirting skills are above average, but I usually don't get them speechless with my Econ major."

Jackson lets out a surprised laugh. "You're just ... not what I expected."

Hunter tilts his head pensively. "I would ask what you did expect, but I think I already know." He rubs at the day old eyeliner under his right lashes. "So. You play soccer?"

"Yeah, midfielder. I'm captain actually."

"I'm impressed, but not surprised."

"No?"

Hunter shakes his head as he finishes chewing a bite of pizza. "You have this easy going confidence. People like that."

"Do you like it?"

"Makes this a hell of a lot easier."

"This?"

Hunter looks at him with a mockingly innocent smile. "Getting to know each other."