54

Jackson doesn't listen to his Econ professor. Partly because he never listens to his Econ professor, especially since he decided to drop Econ as a major, but also partly because he's going over his apology to Hunter.

Hunter sits near the front, his new seat ever since he started ignoring Jackson. Even as Jackson anxiously repeats what he's going to say over and over again, he can't help but notice Hunter's stunning outfit.

He's wearing a shiny, electric blue skirt that's pleated and falls down to his black combat boots with an excessive amount of useless buckles on them. From what Jackson can see, he's also wearing a matching leather jacket that looks cool as shit.

The professor finally ends class, and when the class lazily gets up and moves out of the classroom, Jackson hurries past everyone, apologizing to almost every person that he inevitably bumps in the narrow aisles.

Hunter has somehow already managed to leave the large auditorium and walk across a small quad. With a groan Jackson hurriedly jogs after him.

By the time Jackson reaches him, he's slightly out of breath. "Hunter."

Hunter turns sharply, a suspicious look on his face. When he sees who it is, he frowns angrily, and his voice is flat. "What, Jackson?"

This isn't going to his plans. Jackson had expected a similar reaction that both Eliot and Robin had, a gentle surprise, a gracious forgiveness or acceptance of his apology, and then a heartfelt goodbye. Instead, Hunter immediately accuses Jackson without a single word passed between them.

"Can we talk?" Jackson asks, and seeing that Hunter's face immediately closed off at this, adds, "Please. It's important."

Hunter reluctantly nods, crossing his arms. In his leather jacket, he looks very intimidating, and Jackson tries to avoid looking at his sharp eyeliner and blue mascara. "Fine. I have to meet someone soon, though. In fact, you can accompany me on my walk."

Jackson stays silent, falling in step next Hunter as they continue to walk across the quad.

"Well?" Hunter asks impatiently.

"Oh, right, sorry." Jackson can only think about how nervous he is, and when he realizes he forgot everything he had planned to say, he gets even more nervous. His hands are shaking. He hopes Hunter doesn't notice, but Jackson knows it's a futile hope. "I want to apologize. I took you for granted and I was a horrible friend." Jackson pauses. He doesn't know the best way to say how he feels without potentially offending Hunter.

Noticing Jackson's hesitation, Hunter says, "I'd be insulted if you left it there. Don't give me a cheesy apology. I deserve some honesty."

"Right." Jackson tries to gather his thoughts, but can't seem to piece together a coherent apology. Words like friendship and sexuality and fear float generally in his mind, but blurting them out would be mortifying.

"Take your time," Hunter says, and Jackson can't tell if he's being purposefully sarcastic or not, as even his normal tone has an edge of mockery to it.

"I started dating Wes," Jackson says without thinking.

Hunter stops walking. "Seriously?"

"No, I mean yes. I am. I'm very in love, if you can believe it. But that's not the point." Jackson quickly continues so as not to lose Hunter's attention. "The point is that I need you, and I didn't know that until I lost you, as cliché as that sounds. As much as I love Caleb and Lauren, and they are always there for me, they aren't you. I have never been friends with someone who was like me, and who also got me like you did. You didn't fall in love with me, but in a way we are soul mates. God I sound so cheesy, I'm sorry. But it's true. I need you, and I think I felt this deep down and so I got scared and pushed you away. Now I realize that I was stupid to miss out on such a unique, passionate, brave, smart, and extremely hot, sexy friend. I really mean that. You are one of a kind and I have to be friends with you. Our friendship just means so much to me."