37

He's gone. Just gone.

The pillow beside Jackson is empty and cold, as if Wes had not spent the night next to him. For a moment, his eyes shutting tight, he wonders if last night was a dream. A beautiful, vivid dream of Wes looking at him over his wine glass like he might get Jackson there with just his eyes.

Jackson takes a deep breath and sits up, trying to think of a good enough distraction to settle the panic that claws at his throat. Wes left him.

Again.

Then he sees it on the night stand. A rose, and a white card. Jackson swipes the card. It's Wes's business card turned over to the back. Christ, why does Jackson find that hot?

On the blank side Wes wrote in a forceful script: Meetings. See you Monday.

Jackson sets the card down and gently picks up the rose. He brings the soft petals to his nose, inhaling and swearing he can smell Wes's cologne, a subtle blend of sea salt and bergamot.

His eyes flutter shut, and the petals brush his lips. Voices, his voice whispers in his ear like a song. Look at me, love.

Voices, again. This time from outside. In the kitchen. Caleb and Lauren. The ghost of Wes dissipates like mist in the sunlight.

Jackson leaves the rose and the note on his bed, walking outside of his room with the intention of eating breakfast with his best friends for the first time since their fight. He doesn't try to stop the smile slowly forming across his face.

Even Wes's absence cannot change the lightness he feels in his very bones. It's the weightlessness of friendship, and Jackson cannot live any longer without it.

He reaches the kitchen, where Lauren sits at the table and Caleb stands over a frying pan, scrambling eggs with an apron on. Lauren looks at Caleb with the soft smile of someone used to being left behind. Jackson wonders if he ever looks like that at Wes, and whether Wes can read that look on him so easily too.

Caleb sees him coming towards them and grins. "Good morning sweetheart."

Jackson rolls his eyes. Lauren laughs.

"Caleb is making scrambled eggs. We have bagels," Lauren says. The unsaid permission, help yourself, is hidden in the knowing smile she gives Jackson. He didn't know how good that would feel until now.

"Look at Caleb in his natural habitat. The kitchen, apron on, cooking. A true housewife," Jackson says. He grabs an everything bagel, slicing it in half and popping it in the toaster.

"That's high praise, in my opinion," Caleb says, pursing his lips and flipping his invisible hair off his shoulder. Jackson and Lauren share a fond look.

"Yes, babe, very high praise. Housewife looks very good on you, except I would prefer just the apron on," Lauren says calmly, her voice not even hinting at the meaning in her words.

"Wow, that's worthy of Hunter," Jackson says approvingly, and right after he says it his face falls. Lauren notices and smiles sadly.

"He'll come around," she says.

"He better," Caleb warns.

Jackson smiles but he thinks it will take a lot more than Caleb's threats for Hunter to talk to him again.

☆★☆

Sofia de Luca is gone again, but Jackson suspects he will be seeing her again soon. That woman does not back down from a fight, even if she has to lick her wounds first.