35

Tomorrow is Caleb's birthday. That's the only thing on Jackson's mind all day, even while he's at work. Tomorrow is Caleb's birthday and he hasn't been on friendly terms with him in weeks. Will their sacred birthday tradition still be upheld? Jackson can't imagine that it won't, but he has to speak with Caleb to make sure.

He has to talk to him today. Jackson wants to vomit.

You will find, Jackson, that friendship is just like a relationship.

Fuck, he feels like he's about to go ask someone out, except worse. Way worse.

Even work at the Ice Court wasn't enough of a distraction. Sofia was nowhere to be found, which Jackson would consider a win if Wes wasn't also making himself scarce. He worked with another random clerk who constantly droned on and on about politics in such a rambling, boring way he couldn't even tell which side the guy was on. Even Jack's gossip about a new rumor that Sofia's absence is sure proof of her pregnancy of their child didn't alleviate Jackson's nerves.

Tomorrow is Caleb's birthday and it's time to get Jackson's best friend back.

So after practice, he approaches Caleb. The rest of their teammates hurry to the locker room to shower and change, but Jackson calls his name and they stay behind, lingering at the edge of the field.

They are both sweating and slightly out of breath, and Caleb can't quite meet his eyes. Jackson clears his throat and puts his hands in his pockets only to take them out again when he realizes his shorts are damp.

"We need to talk," Jackson says.

"I'm listening," Caleb says tersely.

"My therapist," Jackson blurts out, and Caleb can't hide his shock, "told me that friendships are like relationships." Caleb raises an eyebrow, his mouth quirking into a smile despite the tension. "Not that we are dating. At all. If you were gay, we definitely would be. But you're not. Even though you did have a weird sugar daddy phase. So... sorry, this isn't going well. Fuck."

"It all makes sense now. You're in love with me," Caleb says with mock realization, but then he sees that Jackson is miserable and looks at him seriously. "I'm joking, man. You just want to have sex with me."

"Christ, Caleb."

"Wow, forget I'm Jewish already?"

"How could I when you remind me of your big Jewish dick every day?"

Caleb laughs, even though they haven't been friendly enough for this to be true as of late. "I missed you, asshole."

"I missed you too, bitch." Jackson smiles sadly. "I'm sorry. I crossed the line and when you called me out on it I got angry. And that's just not how you treat your best friend."

"Aw, I'm your best friend?" Caleb coos.

"Don't push it," Jackson says, but he's smiling so much it hurts. "But yes, you are."

"Damn, I've missed those dimples."

"And I've missed that baby face."

"Stop, you're making me blush," Caleb drawls, a hand draped on his chest.

Jackson shakes his head. Some things, at least, will never change. "I have to tell you something." He takes a breath to prepare himself for Caleb's reaction. "I'm fucking my boss. For the past few weeks."

"WHAT!?" Caleb screams. He staggers back, clutching at the front of his shirt. Jackson can't say he's surprised. "B-but...how....did that beautiful, hot, rich, gorgeous man end up in your bed? And you didn't tell me?! I know we've been beefing but COME! ON! DUDE! You should know this is bigger than both of us. This is God's Plan!"