10

"Mr. Sawyer," Jackson repeats with a practiced smile. He walks over to his new boss and stretches out a hand. "Thank you for this wonderful opportunity to intern for such a prestigious company."

Mr. Sawyer looks indifferently at Jackson's hand before shaking it in a cool, firm grip. He adjusts the button of his suit jacket while assessing Jackson from head to toe, his eyes lingering on his pink tie.

"Mr. Cooper." Then with a curt nod Mr. Sawyer turns and leaves, the door closing with a distinct click. Jackson stares at the door for a few moments before clearing his throat and sitting in his chair.

A few moments of silence later and the door opens again. Jackson holds his breath, bracing himself for Mr. Sawyer's icy indifference. A head pops inside, and Jackson blows out a breath when it's clear it's not his boss.

"Hi, sorry, are you Jackson Cooper, the new intern?"

"Yeah, I am. And you are?"

"Jack Harrison. Nice name, by the way. Jackson and Jack. I like it." Jack looks relieved as he steps inside and carefully closes the door behind him. "I'm also an intern here. I thought I'd introduce myself and maybe help you out, too. This place isn't exactly the most...welcoming."

Jackson chuckles. "Thank god, I thought I was the only one." He looks over Jack's pale ginger hair, freckles, and timid smile and instantly knows that he's in good hands.

"One of two, now." Jack looks around the office. "You got lucky."

"Yeah, it's a nice office," Jackson agrees.

"Oh. No, that's not what I meant. You got lucky with who you share the office with. The secretary."

"Oh really? Who is it?"

Jack looks confused. "You don't know? Sofia De Luca. She's super hot, in a very dominant way, you feel."

For a second—only a split second—Jackson's chest constricts and his stomach drops and he's back on his couch in front of his parents, telling them he didn't like girls that way, and he wonders if Jack will stop talking to him and he feels that familiar urge to go along with it—then nothing. Emptiness. Like he hollowed himself out and made sure he left nothing of himself behind.

"I actually don't swing that way, but it's nice to know she'll be easy on the eyes," Jackson says with a slight smile that probably reflects the emptiness inside. Jack raises his eyebrows in brief astonishment before nodding like Jackson just told him he owned a pink ferrari; not what he imagined Jackson driving, but still cool in its own right. The reassurance it gives Jackson is like a refreshing drink of water on a hot day.

"That's cool. Then maybe you'll be the one to take the stick out of our boss's ass."

"Mr. Sawyer?" Jackson asks incredulously. "He's gay?"

"He's never said, but I did research about the company and found an article about how he's the first gay man to be the CEO of Connelly Enterprises."

"Oh. Well. I don't think he likes me."

"You met him already?" Jack asks doubtfully.

"Yeah, he walked in here just before you did. He seems very cold."

Jack laughs. "The Ice Queen, they call him." Then quickly adds, "But don't say that to anyone but me. You can't be sure where people's loyalties lie."

Even though it sounds somewhat hard to believe that grown adults with success in business would have such a strenuous political dynamic involving silly nicknames, Jackson can tell Jack isn't exaggerating, especially after meeting the receptionist.