32

His Econ professor drones on in the front of the classroom. These days Jackson zones out so often that his voice sounds more like the buzzing of bees than human words.

As he tunes out the lecture, knowing the PowerPoint will be posted online a day later, his eyes focus on Hunter, who sits closer to the front of the classroom in his new seat far away from Jackson.

Hunter's hair has been gelled to spike up and Jackson's pretty sure he sees glitter at the pointy ends. Multiple earrings line both ears, ending in large sparkly hoops. His black skinny jeans have rips and if Jackson leans forward a little he can glimpse shiny combat boots.

He looks as stunning as ever.

The first time Jackson met Hunter, he thought he'd be a theater major, possibly a music major but that sounded a little too unfair, and with those hips swinging like that as he walked, Jackson hadn't thought much of him except that he was hot.

But while Hunter didn't look it, he was very smart. Something Jackson immediately liked about him when discovered, but also something he took for granted, only using his intelligence when it suited him and turning Hunter into a dumb, dramatic diva when he couldn't let go of being right.

A long time ago, he had asked Hunter if he'd ever fall in love.

"Would you notice if you did?"

Jackson thinks he might have been falling for a long time now.

☆★☆

The team didn't have a game this Saturday, so Jackson went ahead and scheduled a private session with his coach. He got an email reply that said about time, son.

Jackson likes when Coach Nels called him son.

"Son, I think we should talk first."

They are standing on the sidelines of the field. Jackson had come jogging back from the equipment shed with a stack of neon orange cones when Nels had put a hand on his shoulder.

"Coach, I'm not trying to change your mind anymore―"

"Jackson, son. Listen to me. You should be disappointed that you're not captain anymore. I would be worried if you weren't. While that decision was final, if you prove to me that you still have the same passion as I saw when you first came on the team, I'll make some adjustments. I just wanted you to know that."

Jackson sighs. "I understand. I'm seeing a therapist now. Things are...getting better. I think. I hope."

"That's good. Talking is good." Nels nods, then looks as if he's about to say something, changes his mind, and then clear his throat. "You can talk to me, too. I might not be a therapist but I know my fair share about life."

"Thank you. That means a lot." Jackson hopes he doesn't sound sarcastic.

Nels hesitates. "I sense some tension between you and Caleb. It's not my business, but I gotta say, I miss your bantering. The team misses it."

"I miss it too," Jackson admits. "I should try to make amends, I just don't know where to start."

"If I may, I'll impart some of my hard earned wisdom." Nels takes a deep breath in as if to prepare himself, and Jackson feels his heart open up at the gesture. "Friendships are valuable things, son. Even more valuable than relationships, most times. But it takes work, just like anything else. When pride gets in the way, or wanting to be right, you risk the friendship, and for what? You don't get a prize for being right, just loneliness. At the end of the day, there are people who will be there for you and people who won't, and it's up to you to keep the good ones around."