9

A knock at the door. Caleb's whisper cuts through the dark.

"Jackson. We have practice in half an hour. You have to get ready."

Jackson groans and hazily gropes in the dark. His hand finds a warm body. Shit. Robin's asleep. He slept here. Of course. Robin probably expects a nice breakfast and maybe another round. The typical boyfriend experience. His chest constricts in a kind of paralyzing panic.

"Robin," Jackson whispers. He reaches out and gently shakes his bare shoulder. Robin hums and squints. "I have soccer practice right now. You can sleep more if you want."

Robin sits up blearily. "No. Thank you. I'll get up."

They quickly dress in the dark. There's nothing romantic about this, and any magic from the night before, any running rivers and hot lights and final sparks have dissipated in the weak morning light shining yellow on the floor.

Robin follows Jackson out to the kitchen. Caleb has made them both a toasted bagel and cream cheese.

"Sorry for the early start, Robin," Caleb says, eyeing Robin thoughtfully, even though it should be Jackson apologizing.

"Oh, no. Don't worry about it." Robin takes a bite of his bagel, looking so thankful for a fucking bagel, just because Jackson is by his side. Hunter wouldn't be thankful. He would tell Jackson to fuck off and let him sleep.

When they finish their bagels, Robin orders an Uber and Jackson and Caleb start their short trek to the field.

Caleb doesn't say anything until they're halfway there. "So...Robin."

Jackson raises an eyebrow, trying not to feel defensive. "What about him?"

"I just thought...Hunter has been over at the apartment. A lot. I just thought maybe...but then Robin." Caleb shrugs. "I sort of thought maybe you liked Hunter."

"I do like Hunter."

"No. I thought you liked him."

"Oh. No." Jackson laughs. "Not enough to date him. No, Hunter and I are strictly...you know."

"Oh." Caleb scratches at the back of his neck. "Is Robin strictly...?"

"No. It's more complicated."

"Ohh." Caleb's face scrunches up and then relaxes. "What do you mean by complicated?"

"I don't know. I think Robin wants to date me. And I don't."

"If I'm completely honest, Robin confused me."

"Why?" Jackson didn't expect Caleb to offer any more opinions after last time.

"Well, he's sort of soft. There's no chemistry or banter between you guys. It's all just thank you and please and goodbye."

"I know. I don't really know what to do about it. I don't want a relationship, but I also wouldn't mind hooking up with him. You know?" Jackson doesn't think Caleb knows at all, but he asks anyway, because Caleb is his best friend.

"I think you should tell him this," Caleb says. Jackson almost has a panic attack at the thought of confronting Robin, even though he's done it a million times before. Something about this feels different, and Jackson has a few theories why and no desire to discuss them with Caleb.

"Can we stop talking about this?"

"Absolutely." Caleb sounds a little too happy.

"So how are you and Lauren?" Jackson asks.

Caleb points ahead at the soccer field. "Look! We're here. Oh well. We'll talk later, okay?" Caleb walks a little faster, and Jackson rolls his eyes and follows, swearing to get to the bottom of Caleb's crush on Lauren.