26

Jackson fidgets with the napkin in front of him, ornately folded to resemble some type of flower, hiding an equally ornate plate. The restaurant barely has any lighting, darkening his booth that's already in a dark corner of the room even more.

He's ten minutes early to his reservation, but they seated him anyways. They didn't blink an eye at his youth, only glancing at his suit and tie and asking for a name.

It had been hard to figure out a way to see Mr. Sawyer tonight. Jackson knew this was his only shot, and whether he showed up was the only test. If he didn't...Jackson hadn't allowed himself to consider this as a possible outcome. Would he have to pay for a reservation if he didn't eat anything? Will he have to tip the waiter for bringing him a glass of water and asking three times if he wanted to order?

Not yet.

No, sorry, I'm...waiting for someone.

He's late. I'm sorry. No, I'm good for now. I'll wait.

"Jackson."

His head snaps up at the voice he'd recognize anywhere. Resonant but cold, falling flat like a slap to the face. Mr. Sawyer stands in front of his booth, glaring at him with such intensity Jackson almost wilts under the pressure.

He came.

"Mr. Sawyer, it's so good to see you. Please, have a seat." Jackson didn't forget that they were in public, no matter how discreet he made their seating. Mr. Sawyer takes a deep breath then sits down across from him, smiling tightly.

"Well, Mr. Wood, I should have known."

"Please, call me Chase." Jackson can barely contain a smirk.

Mr. Sawyer narrows his eyes slightly. "How...fitting."

The waiter hurries towards them, smiling at the now occupied seat. Mr. Sawyer glares at him and the waiter's smile falters. Jackson hurries to save him before Mr. Sawyer says something irreversible.

"Can we get two waters. And for starters we'll have the cheese platter, please."

The waiter nods, scribbling them on a pad of paper. Jackson wills him to hurry and scurry away. Mr. Sawyer opens his mouth and Jackson holds his breath.

"And a bottle of Burgundy."

Jackson looks at Mr. Sawyer, startled, but he doesn't look back at him, instead handing his menu wordlessly to the waiter, who takes it and walks away as quickly as possible.

"You're staying." Jackson watches, mesmerized, as Mr. Sawyer takes the folded napkin on his plate and places it on his lap. Jackson mirrors the movements slowly, as if any quick movement will scare him away.

"Yes."

"Why?" Jackson asks, then immediately regrets it. He might just ruin this with all his pestering. Mr. Sawyer doesn't owe him anything. You're beautiful. Somehow it feels like he does.

"Why not?"

"You're busy. I set up a dinner meeting under the name of a fake CEO of a fake company and you found out it's not real." Jackson doesn't know why he's saying all of this. He should just let this happen and not ask questions. At least not until he has him in his arms again. Mr. Sawyer studies him, and Jackson resists the urge to squirm, like a child that's about to get scolded.

"Those things are all true." Mr. Sawyer's gaze never leaves his. Jackson feels his cheeks grow hot. "And yet...I'm still here."

"Yes. You are." Jackson averts his gaze. They stay silent until the waiter comes back with the cheese platter and the wine. Jackson feels disappointed. Wasn't this what he wanted?