Kunimi Akira x Reader

As you were driving to the market, a male was walking his absolutely adorable dog down the empty street. Without giving it much (any) thought, you rolled down your window and stuck your head out, stopping the car right next to him in the process.
"Your dog is really fucking cute, tell him I love him," you yelled out at him. Then he turned around.

Shit.

It was your ex, Kunimi.

"Oh, erm... haha?"
"Oh, (y/n). Fancy meeting you here," he lazily waved at you.
"I uh- I didn't know it was you. When'd you get the dog?"
"About 4 months ago now. What are you up to? I mean besides harassing people walking their dogs?"

"Hey, I see a cute dog and I let them know. Is that such a problem?" you laughed, "but I'm on my way to the market."

"What a coincidence, me too. I need some food and treats for this little guy."

With a shaky sigh, you extended the offer to drive your ex and his dog with you. It would've been rude if you didn't... right? Of course he had to accept.

As he loaded his dog and himself into your car, you thought back to your relationship with him. You hadn't really ended on bad terms, and there had always been love there. What led to your downfall was the fact that you were two very different people. You'd clash sometimes over the simplest of things, but it was never anything too bad. In the end though, you came to a mutual decision to spend some time apart and learn more about yourselves before you tried to rekindle your relationship. That was about six months ago now.

Turning your attention back to the situation at hand, you realized you needed to actually drive the car to get to the store. Sighing, you put the car into drive as you travelled in uncomfortable silence. At least his dog was cute. Imagine having to deal with all of this and he brought an ugly dog in your car. No way.

Pulling into the supermarket you hesitated to get out, and Kunimi noticed.

"(Y/N)?" He looked at you expectantly, waiting for you to speak your mind.

"Do you ever think us breaking up was a mistake?" You felt so small talking about this with him, there was no way he could relate.

"I mean, yeah. It seemed like the best choice at the time but it kind of really sucked after."

Hearing that he struggled with it as much as you did surprised you, he had always come off as cool and collected, slightly emotionless even.

"Really? I had no idea..." you trailed off to find the right words.

"Yeah, I assumed you needed your space and I didn't want to push anything. I've honestly really missed you."

You turned to him with wide eyes. How come he never said any of this to you while you were dating?

"I think there are things we needed to work on, but I don't think it was anything that couldn't be fixed if we just talked to each other. I figured you needed time to process everything that was going on." You tried to keep yourself from suggesting you get back together right then and there. To be truthful, you missed him like crazy. You never wanted to break up with him, you just wanted to know he cared.

"You mean to say neither of us wanted to end things but we did it for the sake of the other?" He gave a chuckle in disbelief.

"Wow, we really aren't the smartest are we?" you joined him in laughter. "Well since we're here, how about we walk and talk as we shop?" He agreed and followed you with his dog to the outdoor market.

You caught up on each other's lives accounting for the past six months you spent apart, talking about what you went through and how you felt. It was nice to have the much needed conversation with him.

You were about to check out when you realized, "Oh! Didn't you say you were going to get some food for your dog?"

"Oh yeah, I lied about that. I just wanted to get the chance to talk to you again," he said nonchalantly.

You stared at him incredulously for a bit before bursting out into laughter.

"What are we doing? Can we just get back together again?"

"Yes please."