Tanaka Ryunosuke x Reader

A text popped up on your phone. You frowned. An unsaved number? It had to be a scam. Unlocking your phone to delete it, you paused.

The text read:

'Hey number neighbor!'

You had no idea what compelled you to respond. Maybe it was because you were bored, or that you wanted an excuse to avoid your homework further. Regardless, you typed back:

'Hey! I'm (Y/N), what's your name?'

An almost immediate response:

'Tanaka Ryunosuke! I'm a second year and I like long walks on the beach, holding hands, and pretty girls'

You couldn't help but laugh at his reply.

'I feel like I've heard that name before..'

'Eh? What if we go to the same school?'

'There's no way.. that would be too much of a coincidence'

But as you sent that, you thought about the real possibility of you two going to the same school. Clearly you weren't in the same class, but you were in the same year. You decided you'd let it go, the whole number neighbor thing was just a dumb thing anyways.

Leaving school the next day you passed by the gym as always, but the door was open this time and you could hear the voices coming from inside.

"Tanaka, nice serve!"

You froze. Surely it was a different Tanaka, there's no way. Shaking your head and about to keep walking, someone else called out, "Ryuuuuuuuu nice kill!"

Ok. What the hell. Throwing all caution to the wind you walked over and peeked your head in the gym. One quick look couldn't hurt right?

Wrong.

"RYŪ THERE'S A PRETTY GIRL LOOKING AT US!"

Two boys launched towards you only to be halted by a terrifying voice.

"Nishinoya... Tanaka... stop right there if you know what's good for you."

It even made you shiver. But wait, one of them was Tanaka that means! You shyly stepped in to get a better look, you were already discovered anyways.

A taller, kindly smiling boy welcomed you asked for your name.

"Oh, I'm (Y/N), I didn't mean to intrude! I just thought I knew someone here."

"(Y/N) you say? Where have I heard that before?" he tapped his pointer finger to his chin in thought. "Oh! You're that g-"

"You're (Y/N)?" Tanaka seemed to have shaken off the fear from the chilling voice earlier and approached you. You nodded, knowing he had put two and two together now. His next actions startled you though, as you were wrapped in a bone crushing hug.

"Guys this is my number neighbor I was telling you about! And you guys didn't believe she actually responded to me," he grinned, keeping his arm draped around you.

"As nice as it is to put a face to the number, I should go. I don't want to take any more of your time," you tried to escape but Tanaka kept his arm firmly in its place, his smile slightly falling.

"But we just met," he whined, "at least stay and watch us practice!" The boy named Nishinoya agreed eagerly with that. Well, at least you didn't have anything planned for the rest of the evening. Tanaka showed you were you could sit- next to their intimidatingly pretty manager- and left to go practice again. Every now and then he'd ask you if you saw him complete a particularly good play or flash you a thumbs up when he saw you watching.

"He might be a lot to handle, but he's a great guy," the manager spoke up beside you.

"We just happened upon each other by chance, nothing's going on!" You tried your hardest to make her understand your intentions here. She just gave a small smile and nodded like she knew something you didn't.

When practice was over and everything was put away, Tanaka jogged up to you with a huge smile.

"Can I walk with you home? A lady should never walk alone this late." You knew you shouldn't let an almost complete stranger walk you home but you felt strangely safe around him. It was still uncomfortable to be asked such a thing with the eyes of all his teammates on you.

"Yeah! ...I mean I guess so," you shyly mumbled in agreement. That's all he needed to hear to take you by your wrist and start leading you out the door, only briefly pausing to say goodbye to his teammates. They all had cheeky smiles on their faces and you didn't know why.

"Wait, Tanaka-san! You don't even know the way to my house, it's that way!"

"Oh, right," he rubbed the back of his neck with a chuckle. You caught his arm and led him the right direction towards your house.

After walking in a moment of silence, he suddenly exclaimed, "(Y/N) you're really pretty!"

You buried your pink face in your hands, he was so direct! "What made you say that!"

"I just thought you should know," he shrugged with a grin.

"W-well, you're pretty h-handsome yourself," you stuttered out, not used to giving or receiving this kind of attention. It was his turn to blush.

"UwAAah! You can't say those kinds of things without warning me!"

"But you didn't warn me either!"

"Yeah, because the moon shined in your eyes just right!"

You couldn't come up with anything to say out of shock that he could just blurt out what he felt so easily.

"(Y/N) can I tell you a secret?"

"Yeah, what is it?"

"We aren't really number neighbors... I asked Ennoshita for your number because I thought you were really pretty. I hope you don't think I'm weird for that..."

You thought back to how Ennoshita would even have your number, remembering a project you worked on with him once in your first year. Tanaka must have really done his research to figure out how to get to you then. It was kind of endearing, really, because nobody had really put forth this much effort just to talk to you before.

"(Y/N)?" You were silent for too long it seems.

"Sorry! I don't really mind it, you meant well right? I think it's pretty cute honestly and it explains why your teammates smiled at us like that," you laughed, "so I don't think you're weird."

"Really?" He had stars in his eyes as he smiled brightly at you, "then can you come to watch me practice again tomorrow? I want to show you off to the team!"

'Show me... off... ah so embarrassing!' you blushed to yourself, however beaming at him, "Yes, I'll be there!"

His celebration dance was probably the cutest thing you'd ever seen.