Ushijima Wakatoshi x Reader

The man before you was... stoic, to say the least. You had found yourself at a late night cafe your friends dragged you to on this fine Friday night. They had set up a mixer with some boys from a nearby school, but it had to be a later time so they could finish up their practice first. Either way, you didn't really want to be there, you were just there to fend off the one weird one that was always in the group.

So that's how you found yourself seated in front of a very large, stoic male. He hadn't even introduced himself, his red haired friend-who you think said his name was Tendō-had to introduce him as Ushiwaka. What a weird name. The third male was the most normal, and he seemed polite enough too. You liked him for your friend, and they seemed to be hitting it off. His name was Reon, if you recalled correctly.

Clearly though, you weren't the only one that didn't want to be there. The big guy across the table turned to Tendō and said something about this being a waste of his evening.

"Well, nobody is stopping you from leaving then," you said bluntly. You really hadn't meant to speak up, but it just sort of slipped out.

"I will take my leave then."

His friends tried to stop him, but he got up from the table and moved to get his coat and gym bag. Wait- if he was leaving, does that mean you could too? Nothing was keeping you there...

"WAIT UP," you jumped up and grabbed your bag, running after him, "DONT LEAVE ME HERE WITH THEM!"

He turned ever so slightly to acknowledge your presence at his side. You had to catch your breath slightly, knowing you had just caused a scene in that cafe. Oh well, not your problem anymore.

"So, is Ushiwaka really your name?"

"No. Ushijima."

"What practice did you come from before meeting at the cafe?"

"Volleyball."

"Nice."

He grunted in response.

Ok... this was somewhat similar to talking to a brick wall. Not that that was a bad thing per se, you weren't really one for small talk either. You continued walking alongside him in silence, not sure where you were heading.

.
.
.

The two of you came across an open clearing when he stopped.

"I am staying here. Don't get in my way."

"K," was all you responded with, not even flinching at how brash his words were. You watched as he pulled a volleyball from his gym bag and rolled it between his hands.

"Need a setter?"

He looked at you with a slightly cocked eyebrow, the first emotion you'd seen on his face the whole time.

"You play?"

"I dabble, I won't be as good as the setters I'm sure you're used to," you nodded. He tossed you the ball after a moment of thinking.

You set the ball for him at a height you thought would work for him-and that it did. He spiked the ball down and it bounced perfectly against a tree he was evidently aiming for.

The first thing he said was, "You put too much spin on the ball."

You just shrugged your shoulders in response and jogged to retrieve the ball. At least you thought it was a decent set. Somehow his words just didn't affect you like they did to others, which is something he took note of.