Chapter Eight: How Curious

Mason found that he could not breathe.

He had never seen anything like the creature before him. Metallic and gleaming, but it had fur, and seemed to be breathing. The creatures back, or if it was even a back Mason didn't know, was opened up, revealing a crimson orb just floating inside, bathing the grass in its light.

The thing had a visor, or maybe it was its face. It was black, but like charcoal. It had bumps, little but still noticeable from where Mason was standing, and along the rim was a thin strip of metal. Along the sides of the visor were two protrusions, blue and black metal making up the framework.

It had a slim body. So slim in fact that it would seem malnourished, if not for the fact that its midsection was completely metallic. Mason took a step backwards in shock as a thin beam of light appeared on the black visor, flashing symbols.

They appeared slightly different each time, like a language. It steadily grows more in shape, before suddenly snapping into English. It read, "Percentage: One. Recharge necessary."

Mason took a deep breath, calming himself down. Whatever that thing was, it was out of battery. At least, from what Mason could infer. He fully stepped into the small clearing, brushing away some of the long strands of grass around him. He was completely enveloped by the red light.

As he stepped closer, intrigued, he felt a sharp pain in his neck: it was cold, yet hot. Stabbing yet blunt. He quickly shot his arms around his neck, choking.

And then it faded, but he noticed something. He felt every gust of wind, every prick of the small bits of degraded grass hitting him. Every small whistle of wind despite not hearing anything before, he could taste the air around him, and what was once a deep crimson red was now lighter. In fact, the world around him seemed to grow lighter, like it was turning day.

Mason took a step back, not wanting to get closer. What should he do? He could run to the road and hope to flag someone down if they are going down that road, but it would be unlikely that anyone would be going...

Tugging at his shirt, mason decided to go and get his friends. There was no way that he could find anyone else there, especially at that time. He felt every footstep as he ran back to the house, felt every sting as his paws slammed against the barren dirt and rocks.

He could hear everything. Even from outside the house, he could hear the faint sound of rustling sheets, and the loud snoring of Axel. He could smell the rancid mold emanating from underneath the porch, and he could taste the dust in the air.

He wondered what the red light did to him.

He hastily fiddled with the door, wrenching the entrance open and quickly rushed to the kitchen, "Wake up!" He yelled, startling even himself as it was much louder than he could go before. It held force behind it, and instantly woke up Axel.

He stared at him blearily, rubbing his eyes, "What's up?" He asked tiredly, throwing off the bed covers. Marissa was soon woken up by Axel, who hit her against her stomach and instantly woke her up, angry.

"You son of a b-" Axel hit her stomach once again, which caused her to hold it tenderly and not speak, glaring at him.

"I... I found something." Mason told them, his voice gusty and without air, like he had just ran two marathons without any water. He could energy draining from him, and he could barely feel anything, his body numb.

Axel shrugged, using the nearby table to prop himself up from the ground, "Cool, I guess, like a feral snake egg or something?" Marissa got up as well, but still had her eyes trained on the back of Axel's head.