Chapter Twenty: A Fickle Thing

Mason wouldn't, and hasn't, considered himself partial to anything resembling structures or building. He would've been fine with a small box with a couple of beds, a small kitchen, and a rug and lamp. What they got was more akin to an actual living room, kitchen, and bedroom.

He would've thought that since they were, technically, in a government agency, they would have close together bunk beds, military style and all. But no, they got what looked like an actual house. Granted, it had no windows nor electronics, but it was something.

B-64 also admired the way that Mason's home planet created homes. His "home", if one could even call it that, was a small circular building with a bed, water supplier, and a so-called resortment tank, where he could quickly restabilize his Boson Levels.

The floor was carpeted brown, though the kitchen area was tiled white and black. The walls matched the floor in color, but felt like steel. The ceiling was the same, and appeared slightly slanted. The whole thing was brightly lit up, despite not having any lights that they could see.

Marissa took Axel to the kitchen to see if it had anything, and to their surprise, it did. A few sandwiches, a couple bottles of water, and a small bar of chocolate. Axel was skeptical as to why they had given them a room that was so... Normal.

Hannah had quickly discovered the beds and was proceeding to jump up and down like a feral dog, and Mason did not attempt to stop her. She was a kid after all, and he doubted that she would sleep if she didn't run around like that.

Once everyone died down and got accustomed to the blank rooms, they all started to try and entertain themselves. Mason mostly thought about what was happening then.

Why would the scientists delay the experiments? Surely if the earth being taken over was true, then they'd want to attempt to get answers as soon as possible. He shared his thoughts with Axel after he raided the fridge.

"I don't know. He said that they were fighting them, and you saw what happened to that red guy. Maybe despite us being a good chance at, you know, beating these guys, they can cover for us. We're just the cheaper, less murder-y of our own kind, kind of solution."

Mason guessed that he was right, but he was still feeling slightly perturbed. However much Axel might be correct, what had they given them a good room? Out of the goodness of their hearts? Mason highly doubted that.

It might be due to them wanting him and his friends on their side. Mason, again, wondered if that was the case then why did they expect them to decline? Of course they'd accept, people are getting massacred!

But then again... No, they'd accept. Mason wasn't going to say no when he had seen what happened to the towns, what might've happened to his parents. If they could be of any use to this place, then they'd do it.

And by the looks of Marissa and Axel, they'd do it to.

B-64 placed a comforting hand on mason's shoulder, cooing lightly as he brought Mason in for a hug. Mason smiled into the hug, accepting it. B-64 was another thing...

Mason could accept everything that was happening. The blood, the tears, the death. He knew they happened by the hands of the Protogen, if not directly. But B-64 seemed different.

Granted, he had no other experiences with others of B-64's kind, but if the videos that Lied had shown them were anything to go off on...

He couldn't deny it any longer. He liked B-64, quite a bit. And although before he would've brushed it off as a comforting friendship thing, or something akin to liking him as a friend, but now? No, he liked B-64. A lot.

He could guess why. He had always, always liked cute things. Plushies, the little pink globs of glue that looked like slime with little adorable eyes, feral rabbits. All the things that he found cute.