Chapter 17

Arthur's p.o.v

I drove straight to the hospital after dropping off Jake at his house. I've been postponing my visit for a week and today I feel like it's time to confront my pops.

I scroll through the gram looking at all the pictures of the party that I missed. Judging by these pictures, it must've been a blast. Most of the girls in the background wore little to no clothes at all.

I lean against the chair feeling bored as hell. I've lost all my old numbers and I can't even text anyone, only Jake. I lost all the pictures and videos I had. I don't have any games or songs whatsoever so I tap on Jake's contact number since I don't have anything else to do.

Me: hey

The nickname I've given him in my phone makes me chuckle. He was so flushed and beet red when he saw it and his face remained like that during the whole car ride. It's crazy how he blushes over the smallest compliments. I on the other hand will do it over and over again for that reaction because I find it amusing.

"You really ain't gone talk to me?" The voice of my father brings me back to reality. I forgot I was at the hospital for a second there.

"I ain't here for you" I respond with a shrug going back to what I've been doing before. I take a quick glance at my pops on the hospital bed. He has his mouth open staring at me in disbelief.

Me: you wanna go eat the McDonald's we couldn't eat at the mall cuz someone was acting up?

"Then who the fuck are you looking for in the room that I'm in"

"Waiting on uncle James"

"Let one stupid shit come out of your mouth and I'll strangle you with this fucking cord. You make my blood boil, lil boy" my father states sitting up.

"You're all talks, pops" I chuckle staring at him and he sighs.

"I appreciate it that you finally decided to visit the father that took a bullet for his amazing son. Thank you for coming" he says with his voice dripping in sarcasm making me scowl.

"Let's get this shit over with then. Blame me so I can leave, safe your lectures for niggas that would like to listen" I tell him getting up. I didn't want to come here in the first place.

"Sit your ass down."

"Naah, this is your chance to get it over with" I say and he rubs his face in frustration before speaking.

"I ain't gone blame you because all of this is my fault. I shouldn't have called you there when I'm the one trying to keep your ass safe, aight? Stop acting like a spoiled lil nigga because you got someone to care about you. I could've left you like your mom did but I didn't because I love you. What I say goes, I've been through the hustle and the street life. I know how fucked up it is so when I tell you to listen you do exactly as I fucking say."

"The whole dominant, gangster, boss facade you got in front of your friends ain't gone work on me so don't try that shit. You don't think I know that you brought Andre's bitch ass with you when I told you to come alone? Didn't I clearly tell you not to start shit with the Mexicans? Didn't I? I hope these questions answer why I never let you come with us"

"And I hope you know that I'm not doing this just to pester you. Naah, son, I care about you a lot. I want what's best for my son because I love him, I do this because I want you to have a better life. These are things you shouldn't be taking for granted because there are people out there that don't even got this but you do so cherish it, son."

"When the time comes, you'll take over, you'll shine and I know that because I can see it in you. I understand that you're trying to make your own money and I respect that but you gotta stay in school. Don't let this get over your head like it did mine. I kept you when your mother abandoned you at a time that I, myself, was struggling and it's the best decision I've ever made in my life. So no, I won't blame you for something as small as taking a bullet for you" he finishes and takes a sip of the water close to his bed.