Chapter 26

Jacob's p.o.v

"I know you guys just had lunch and you're energetic, but please pay close attention to what I'm about to say. It's important for the upcoming project" the teacher endeavors to calm down the talkative students sitting behind me, some haven't even sat yet.

Good thing I always sit close to the teacher and far away from everyone else, my voice would've surely been lost in their loud conversations even if I attempted to speak to anyone.

I take the much-needed breath I've been holding due to the sudden nervousness that either was caused by the fact that Arthur said he was leaving earlier or the wicked smile that spread on Abigail's face when we made eye-contact. What could be the reason to her creepy happiness...

"is everyone finally here? Good, good" the teacher exclaims pulling me out of my thoughts, "you too, Park?" she asks patting my shoulder when she's close enough and I quickly nod my head awkwardly.

I've become so used to Arthur that I'm feeling utterly unguarded now that he has left and I know that it's not a feeling I should be accustomed to, but I can't help it. It's as if he's a savior and a lover in just one body and it's difficult to convince myself from relying on him.

I start scribbling in my notebook as soon as the teacher rapidly starts talking about the upcoming project. My hand unconsciously stops when she mentions something about choosing a partner, I rather work alone.

"Okay, now I'll leave you guys to individually think about a topic and we'll discuss it later on, choosing partners will be next week. Don't be too loud, please" she tells us and some of the students groan, some even mumbling some curses in between. 

Moments later I hear, "bro, check this shit out" and I frantically keep my eye forward to avoid turning around. I don't want to start something I'll most definitely never finish.

"Pass it up, pass it up."

"You could have stayed home like your manners did, Martin" the teacher says seemingly looking at him with her glasses low resting on her nose and her head tilted aside, "Is gawking at your cellphone the same as thinking about a topic? Is your brain in that phone? Put it away before I make you hand it over" she spits and I guess Martin did what she said because she immediately goes back to staring at her computer screen.

The whispering behind me doesn't stop and the more I pay attention, the more I feel like their topic is somehow related to me if what they're saying right now is compared to the slurs they used to throw at me in the hallways.

"Didn't I tell you that he was one?"

"Gay ass."

"He ain't got no walls."

"At least he likes them big."

"So nobody's going to talk about the other guy in the picture with him? This boy crushed y'all dreams with just one move, hoes about to be pissed."

My head goes up when a girl not far from me gets a hold of the phone they've been passing around and she snickers when her eyes fall on the screen making me more curious than I already am. A sudden flow of nervousness runs down my stomach the moment her head goes up locking eyes with me for a quick second and she looks at the phone once again then back at me.

"Shit, this was moments ago?" she turns around asking the person behind her.

"Yeah, it was uploaded moments ago. Ain't this some shit."

 "Well damn, the person who exposed them is shitty as hell, it wasn't their damn business" she says casually and I steal a glance of her before turning my gaze back to my notebook.