Chapter 32

That's the dad who played us^_^

Demarcus p.o.v

I carelessly toss the papers I've been skimming through for almost an hour on top of my desk and throw my head back in frustration staring up at the ceiling. I can barely concentrate on my task when I have other thoughts, less important ones at that, running through my mind.

Life's been like this for a while now. Papers and constant phone calls have become a routine since I've been trying to set up a business, a real one. Our last job, the one we at least thought was our last, didn't really go as planned, but at least we got the upper hand and were able to leave with the majority of what we had planned and our body parts intact.

Everything started going south at the last minute. My son suddenly got involved with something he couldn't get himself out of just because he couldn't control his anger over some mild shit, our moves got leaked by someone close to us and there were eyes everywhere watching our every move, but we weren't newbies and we couldn't easily let that chance go so we went for it and here we are today. In a different state starting afresh in the best way possible.

"What's up with you, cousin" I hear James who's always been here for me ask, but I ignore it and massage my temples instead to lessen the stress I'm currently enduring. The stress that's not even supposed to be here, but my son keeps making everything so fucking difficult.

"You think I'm too harsh on him?" I find myself asking when I just can't figure his sudden behavior out.

"Who?"

"My son" I breathe out tiredly. Just the thought of him makes me exhausted.

I could never understand teenagers, although I once was one myself. Especially not my own son. His actions make me so livid to the point where I want to beat the living hell out of him with a belt, but then I realize that he has grown out of that. How does he manage to be so reckless and careless at the same time.

Arthur's been nothing but pig-headed and difficult to handle since I brought him here alongside his so-called friend that only adds fuel to the fire. He agrees to every brainless idea my son comes up with and they just can't be stopped. They got so difficult to the point where I finally gave in and let Arthur rent a whole apartment on the other side of the city so I wouldn't have to see his face or deal with his shit.

I remember telling Quinn clearly that he could go back home since everything was cleared up after the little stunt they pulled, but the boy only gave me a dumb look and swiftly left the room as soon as my son called him to go out. He did leave at some point, if I'm correct, for his exams, but it wasn't a surprise when he came back to cause more havoc. One is already so hard to handle, imagine trying to tame two. They're all over the place doing the most for no reason, at least for Quinn.

I've known Arthur long enough to know that there must be a reason behind his current doings and now that I'm thinking about it, I hope it doesn't have anything to do with how harsh I've been on him when he confessed the feelings he had towards another boy to me. The problem is that he behaved for three months straight and I thought I had the perfect son until one day he just changed and started doing the unthinkable. I just hope my harshness isn't the reason though.

Or could that be it...

I still remember how he stuttered over his words when he spoke to me in that small kitchen and even caught on the fact that he started correcting himself when he referred to the person he was talking about, but I didn't think too much of it and gave him advice. Him using my advice wrongly is all his fault and now he detests me because I told him the truth.

All he did when I still tolerated his actions and kept him here was bringing random girls into my house after two am every single day and that was unlike him. I'm not saying that he's never done that before, but he never had the audacity to let them come over and let them walk around in the house as if they've been living here their whole life.