How to Catch a Ghost

Tw: mentions of suicide

I sat alone in my room, at least, I assumed I was. My laptop was held open. There's no way I'm crazy... I actually saw her...

Slowly, as if someone was watching me, my fingers hovered over the keys, how to catch a ghost. Hesitantly, I pressed enter. Surprisingly, many different articles came up, even a Wikihow, with pictures. I clicked on a site that looked promising.

How to catch a ghost

1. Candle in a jar

I scrolled down to the instructions.

You need a candle, a jar, and a matching lid

1. Place the candle in the jar

2. Set the jar in an area most commonly haunted

3. Light the candle, the ghost will be drawn to the energy given off by the candle

4. Once the ghost has entered the candle, put the lid over the jar, keeping it trapped so long you keep the jar closed

That doesn't seem too hard...

I shuffled through my things to find the items I needed, mysteriously, they were gone. I knew I had a candle in here somewhere!

I rushed downstairs, to find a jar in the kitchen. I went through each cupboard, there wasn't a single one. Even though I knew exactly where one was, but it had vanished.

"Ghost? Ghost, where are you?" I asked, "I know you're here somewhere..." The closet...

My eyes went to the closet under the stairs. Smirking, I walked over, and opened the door. Jar and candle, sitting right there.

"Ghost, if you don't want me to do this, just show yourself!" I cried. Instead of an answer, Birthday pawed at me.

"Not now," She kept at it, "Birthday, no!" She meowed, "What do you want!?" She walked towards the kitchen, I followed.

Then, Birthday stood by one of the dinning chairs. Her fur moved as if she was being petted, but no one was there. No one I could see, at least.

"Hello?" I asked, staying calm as I could.

Birthday's fur quickly stopped moving. The sound of soft footsteps got louder as they got closer, suddenly, they stopped. Instantly, I began to shiver. Birthday began rubbing up against something, but I couldn't see what.

"Hello?" I tried.

"Hello?" A quiet voice belonging to a girl mirrored what I had said.

"Who are you?"

"Who are you?" She copied, but dragged the 'ou'.

"I'm Ryan, can I see you?"

"I don't know, can you?" She asked, playfully.

"No actually, I can't. And frankly, I would like to be your friend, but you're making it very difficult for me, ghost." She stayed silent for a moment. Shit, did I scare her away?

"My name isn't ghost, y'know."

"I know, I just wanted something to call you."

"Well if you ask me, it's not a very creative nickname." She giggled.

"I wasn't asking you. What is your name then?"

"Why do you care?"

"Why do you care? Wow, imagine waiting nine months in the womb just to be called 'Why do you care?'" She stood silent.