тape recorder (carson)

tape recorder

t/w death, implied suicide

carson (angst)

the apocalypse begins, and carson finds a box of old tapes and a tape recorder.

tip: read it by itself first, then read it with the comments :)

Is this on?

I assume it is.

Hi! I'm Carson, or CallMeCarson, if you know me from my youtube channel which has over 2 million subscribers. Yeah, i'm kind of a big deal.

So uh, anyways, today is January 12, 2021, it's about 10 in the morning, and the apocalypse has begun.

If you are listening to this, you obviously know about it because you can't possibly be listening to this from the past, but I'll explain it anyways in case it's so far in the future that you don't even know about the apocalypse.

Well, the government called it MEH, Mass Extinction of Humanity, but that just makes it sound pretty meh.

He chuckles, but he clearly isn't happy. 

Anyways, it isn't some zombie apocalypse, or world war 3 as most movies depict. To put it simply, there was a virus. A virus that wiped out about 80 percent of the population, and made it so those who survived can no longer have children. 

He chokes, like he is on the verge of tears.

It- It's pretty sad.

I- I was lucky enough to survive. Well, if you can really call it lucky being one of the last few people alive to just watch humanity die out.

He can't hold it in anymore.

Why me? Why did I have to survive?

Fuck, I- I don't deserve this.

Sorry for the abrupt ending last time. I'm back.

It is now the 13th of January, 11 am. I think I'm doing better now.

He still sounds sad

Let's chat for a bit. I used to be a youtuber as I mentioned previously. I- I lived...

Fuck.

He clears his throat, which sound wet, like he was crying.

Sorry. I lived with my 3 roommates, Cooper, Travis and Noah. We had some fun times. 

The house is gone now. It got raided and pretty much destroyed while we were in the hospital. After Travis and Noah...

He doesn't continue.

Yeah. Anyways, I am currently living in an abandoned roller rink in California, surviving mostly on all the seemingly never expiring snacks and sodas they used to sell, occasionally heading to nearby grocery stores or restaurants to get some of the little food that remains.

These tapes you're listening to right now were in some old box at the back of the rink. Don't know why they had so many, maybe for the retro aesthetic.

Silence.

I hope they find a cure. God, I wish someone out there could continue humanity.