7

~Luke's POV~

The door to my office gently creaked open as I worked and I glanced away from my laptop screen, looking up at the short figure that slipped inside the room.

I leaned back in my seat and stared at her for a moment, watching her approach my desk with her small hands clasping a plate of food. She'd made me breakfast again this morning, as she did every day. This time she'd gone and made me an omelette with some sausage links on the side and it smelled fucking amazing.

"You can just set that here." I said to her, pointing to a space that I had cleared specifically for this reason. She set the plate where I wanted it and then stepped away from me, hands now behind her back. "Is there anything you want me to get you to drink?" She asked me in her gentle voice, big brown eyes peering down at me curiously. I looked up at her and met her gaze, causing her to submissively look away after a few seconds of staring back at me. I'd noticed that she seemed rather feeble and intimidated by me when it came to keeping eye contact. For some reason, it was sort of cute.

"No, that's alright." I answered finally, shaking my head. She nodded her head and then spun around, quickly leaving my office to begin to get to work. When the door was shut and I was alone again, I began to eat the food she'd made me, not at all surprised to find that it tasted amazing. If there was one thing I knew, it was that Ms. Verdine has quite the knack for cooking. And lucky for me, too.

When I finished eating, I continued to work for a couple more hours before I decided that I'd go and see how Ms. Verdine was doing. I usually told her what it was she needed to clean for the day, but today I hadn't done that. I wondered what she was up to now as I rose from my desk chair and pushed it in before I left, closing the door behind me when I entered the quiet hall. The house was rather silent as I walked down the hall, first looking in my room and hers, but both were empty. Before I headed downstairs I decided to check in her bathroom, which I only noticed the light was on in as I went to go to the stairs.

It was when I went to open the bathroom door that I heard the sound of Ms. Verdine's voice and knew she was in there, her usual soft tone laced with frustration as she spoke to herself. "Damn it all." She huffed, causing my lips to twitch up a little in amusement. She seemed to get frustrated when she cleaned the bathrooms, but it was cute the way she sounded when she cussed.

Without saying anything, I silently opened the bathroom door and stepped into the bathroom, my eyes instantly finding her short figure as she was hunched over the toilet while she scrubbed at it furiously. Her dark hair, which I was used to seeing spill down her shoulders and back, was up on her head in a slightly messy bun. I watched her, my arms crossed over my chest, while she continued to scrub at the inside of the toilet with some sort of long looking stick thing. Suddenly, she stood up and leaned over instead of sitting in front of the toilet, one hand braced against the tank on the back of the toilet for leverage. The black and white striped pants that she had on clung tighter to her when she leaned over and, purely by accident, my eyes immediately lowered to her backside.

I hadn't meant to, but I found myself looking at her ass before I knew what I was doing, ogling the way that she looked in her outfit.

The moment I realized that I was not only checking out someone who wasn't Kira but also one of my employees, I blinked at myself and pulled myself out of my head. Checking out other girls wasn't something that I found myself doing, so I was surprised at what I'd just done.

"Damn it. Why do you hate me?" Ms. Verdine scowled at the toilet with a huff of frustration, causing me to smile slightly. "You seem to make it a habit to talk to inanimate objects when you're alone, Ms. Verdine." I finally spoke up, subtly teasing her. Just like I had expected her to, she gasped and jumped to stand straight, my sudden presence catching her off guard. I leaned against the sink, her big brown eyes filled with surprise as she peered at me and hesitantly set her cleaning wand in the container to the side of the toilet. "Um, M-Mr. Hemmings..." She trailed feebly, gently biting onto her full bottom lip. "I'm sorry. How long...How much of that did you hear?" She asked nervously. Every time she even looked at me for too long, it was like she thought I'd fire her. I wasn't sure why, but I didn't like it.

"Not a whole lot." I shrugged, studying her closely as I hoped to put her at ease a little. Alas, it didn't seem to work. This girl was constantly walking on eggshells around me, even when there was no reason. I was the one who'd come and sought her out, so it wasn't like she was cursing in front of me knowingly. I knew by now that she was professional, maybe even more than me, considering I'd just been ogling her not even two minutes ago. It'd be stupid of me to fire her for nothing.

"W-Well, is everything alright? Did you need me to do something?" She asked, one of the strands of her hair falling from her bun when she cocked her head to the side and furrowed her brows.

For a moment I just looked at her, able to tell that she was feeling worried. I liked Beyla, but I was growing tired of seeing her look at me and approach me like she was scared to even look at me. Even now, she had diverted her gaze to look down at the floor instead of at me. I couldn't deal with it, having her treat me like I was going to bite her head off at any given moment.

"Ms. Verdine." I said, my voice taking up a serious tone that I hadn't had before. She looked up at me and I noticed the way she fiddled with her fingers before she clasped her hands together to stop from fiddling with them. "Y-Yes, sir?" She responded with an anxious stutter, peering up at me. I gestured her forwards. "Come here." I commanded, wanting her to be closer. At first, she hesitated to move and instead just looked at me, but then she walked forward until she was directly in front of me. I couldn't help but to notice how much taller than her I was, having to tilt my head down to look her in the eye. "Did I do something wrong?" She asked quietly, a frown on her lips.

"No, Ms. Verdine. You've done nothing wrong at all." I reassured with a shake of my head, noticing the way that her shoulders sagged a bit with relief. "But you're going to have to work on getting to be more comfortable with me." I said, deciding that it needed to be said. Really, something needed to be done to fix this intimidation she had of me. "More comfortable?" She echoed, furrowing her brows up at me. Maybe she thought I hadn't noticed how she always reacted around me. "Mhm." I hummed, nodding my head. "I can tell you're always cautious about what you're saying or doing when I'm around, you know, but there's no need to be. You've given me no reason to fire you, Ms. Verdine. You're a hard worker and a professional woman, but you don't need to be scared of me." I added, really hoping to make her feel more comfortable. At least enough to not be intimidated by me, anyways.

"Oh." She whispered, looking somewhat embarrassed. It was kind of cute, as much as I knew I shouldn't be thinking that.

"Were you having some trouble in here?" I asked, completely changing the subject now that I had said what I needed to. She blinked, likely surprised at the subject change, but then she nodded her head. "Yes, I was. It's not a big deal, though. I'm sure I can get it." She said, going along with it.

"Can I ask what else you've been doing today, other than the bathroom?" I asked, though we both knew it wasn't like I was really asking. After all, just because I phrased it as a question didn't mean I was asking, but telling her to tell me. She still worked for me, and I was still her boss. There had to be some sort of line between us. "Well, I cleaned the kitchen, the entryway and I mopped the floors downstairs before I came to clean my bathroom." She explained, gently nibbling at her lip. I think she was feeling a little nervous about whether or not I'd approve of how much work she'd gotten done by now, being that it was nearly four PM.

When I sent her a smile, though, I knew she felt relieved because she smiled back up at me. I was so taken aback that I just stared down at her, lips parted as I took in the sight of her smile. This must've been the first time that she had smiled directly at me and I was feeling a little lighter, my head spinning at the sight. She looked so radiant when she smiled, I couldn't believe I hadn't made her smile at me like that until now. I barely managed to gather my thoughts and, to my surprise, I felt a heat in my cheeks when I finally did. "I'll see you later." I choked out, the sight of her smile stuck in my head.

Before she even had a chance to respond, I quickly spun around and stalked out of her bathroom, her scent of chocolate and million dollar smile still making my cheeks feel hot. That smile.

My god, that smile. So...so fucking cute.