22

~Beyla's POV~

I felt my cheeks warm as I laid in bed and stared up at the ceiling, recalling Luke and I's kiss. That had been my first time kissing someone and it was definitely one to remember.

It had already been almost three days since it had happened, but I couldn't get it out of my head. Every time I saw him, I remembered our kiss and my insides would get all warm. He and I hadn't kissed since then, but I caught him staring at me every once in a while. I missed the feeling of his lips and how he had held me.

Of course, some part of me felt guilty for what had happened between us. I mean, Mr. Hemmings still had a girlfriend, something which I certainly wasn't unaware of, and yet that hadn't been enough to stop me from kissing him. It normally would have been, but I'd been trying for so long to resist how I wanted him and I just hadn't had a strong enough resolve. That probably made me a horrible person, but it was true. I'd knowingly betrayed Kira and I was ashamed of the fact that I had become a home wrecker, the one thing I never thought I'd be. Cheating had always disgusted me and now I was somehow involved in an affair.

"Ms. Verdine? Are you still awake in there?" Called the voice of Mr. Hemmings through my bedroom door, his fist gently rapping against the wood along with his voice. I quickly sat up in bed and slipped my legs beneath my blankets, hiding their bare ness from sight. "Yes, I'm awake. You can come in, sir." I said back, projecting my voice so he could actually hear me. It dawned on me that he had called me Ms. Verdine again and I frowned, unsure how I felt about that. Not much had really changed between him and I since we kissed, such as the fact that he had gone right back to calling me Ms. Verdine instead of my actual name. I'd even have taken his nickname for me: bambi.

The bedroom door was swung open quietly and Mr. Hemmings slipped in smoothly, shutting it softly behind him before his gaze landed on me. When he saw me, a smile rose on his pink lips that had my heart fluttering. "Hey there. You went and disappeared without even eating dinner with Kira and I." He mentioned, eyeing me closely. "Wanna tell me why?" He asked, frowning. Before we had kissed, I'd grown a little more into the habit of eating with them, but that had completely stopped again and it was obvious he was too dense to figure out why.

I blinked at him, somehow both surprised and unsurprised that he was actually asking me this. Mr. Hemmings was generally a smart man, but it seemed like he was sort of stupid sometimes. To me, the reason why should've been obvious and I was a little pissed off that he didn't see it.

"Seriously?" I snorted, shaking my head in amazement at his ignorance. Mr. Hemmings realized I was angry and sat down across from me, brows furrowed in clear confusion. "You don't honestly mean to ask me why I don't exactly want to have dinner with my boss, who I've made out with, and his girlfriend, who is completely unaware?" I scoffed, raising at brow at him.

Realization immediately dawned across his handsome face.

"Oh." He sighed, looking down at my bedroom floor. "Right, of course." He muttered, running a hand through his shiny curls. It was obvious that he was stressed out a little, making me frown. "Are you okay?" I asked him, feeling a bit bad. He glanced up at me and sent me a little smile, nodding his head. "Don't worry. I'm perfectly fine." He assured, blue eyes scanning over my features before stopping on my lips.

We both went quiet as he looked at me and I stared right back at him, a blush creeping up my neck and into my cheeks. Unfortunately, due to the fact that I had already taken off my makeup, he could see the color in my face clearly. I saw his lips twitch up when he noticed and he leaned forward, letting one hand sink into my mattress as he used it as support. He didn't say anything, just looked at me with a little smile on his lips, but the way he looked at me made me feel flustered.

"I wanna kiss you again, Beyla." He confessed in nearly a whisper, making my heart race. "I've been thinking about kissing you since the moment I stopped." He added.

My cheeks became even hotter, not used to being told this. He had been my first kiss, as boys had never really tried to date me or anything during high school. To be honest, that might've been because everyone thought Arsen was already dating me and we hung out together all the time.

"Right now?" I asked nervously, biting my bottom lip. A smile rose on Mr. Hemmings' face, crawling just a little bit closer to me. "Mhm." He murmured, surprising me when he suddenly crawled over my legs and straddled me. I gazed up at him with wide eyes, my fingers trembling with nerves and excitement. "B-But..." I stammered uselessly and he grinned wickedly, trailing his fingers up my arm. "You don't have to be nervous. Kira fell asleep already, so it's not a big deal." He hummed casually.

Somehow, I managed to keep a hold on myself this time, guilt crushing my heart at the mention of Kira. "We can't. She's still your girlfriend, Luke, and I'm not going to help you cheat on her. I...I shouldn't have helped you cheat the first time, either." I stuttered out, placing a hand on his chest and gently pushing him back when he tried to kiss my jaw. A frown sat on his lips, confusion in his eyes. "I can't do this with you." I said quietly, surprised to see how upset his face became at my words.

He looked at me and seemed to really think about it for a moment. "What do you want me to do, Beyla?" He asked, a sparkle of hope that faded immediately at my response. "I told you I won't help you cheat. Either you break up with her or that's that and I don't want you to try to kiss me like this again." I said, half lying. I wanted him to kiss me, but not like this. Not when someone else could get hurt.

"You want me to break up with her?" Mr. Hemmings asked, his attitude changing entirely as he pulled away. I stared at him and raised a brow. "Sir, I'm the only one of us who has consistently said one thing from the start. I won't help you cheat. You have a girlfriend, so either stop leading me on or break up with her." I stated, this being perhaps one of the only times I would ever have the confidence to speak to him this way. However, I was done playing games and I didn't want to let this get too far. We'd only kissed once and I wouldn't let him do it again unless I knew my mouth was the only one he was kissing.

A hard frown formed on his face as he moved off of me, scoffing. "I'm not going to dump her. I..." He paused and stared at me for a moment, his brows furrowing. It seemed he was in great turmoil, as if he were uncertain of his own feelings. "I love her." He claimed as he slipped out of my bed, but his voice had very little conviction, if any. He and I stared at one another for a moment as he stood by my bedroom door now, my eyes calmly observing his rather confused state.

"Do you really?" I asked, challenging him as I raised a brow. His face fell and he seemed more conflicted, frowning to himself. "You don't seem very sure about that at all." I added simply.

Mr. Hemmings ran a stressed hand through his curls and then spun around, hurriedly leaving my room without even responding.