27

~Beyla's POV~

"Are you going somewhere, Ms. Verdine?" Mr. Hemmings asked as I came stalking down the stairs, my purse in hand. I nodded my head and glanced over at him as he leaned against the wall close to the staircase, the sound of my heels gently clicking against the hardwood floors when I walked. "We're getting low on food, so I'm going grocery shopping." I answered, adjusting my bag on my arm.

"Oh?" He hummed, raising a brow up at me curiously. "Did you plan to actually ask for my credit card or were you just going to use yours to pay for everything again?" He asked, staring me down. I was pretty sure my silence and the way I looked away guiltily was answer enough. "Yeah, that's what I thought." He sighed, shaking his head as he pushed off of the wall. A frown formed on my lips as he grabbed his wallet off the table and, instead of handing it to me like I thought he was going to do, he slipped it into his pocket. "Alright, then." He said, glancing over at me. "Let's get going."

I blinked at him in confusion and cocked my head to the side, frowning. "Huh? You want to go grocery shopping with me?" I asked, taken aback. Usually, I was the only one who went grocery shopping, and it was always by myself. He hadn't ever tried to come with me before, but that was because I usually went at around three PM, which was a time I had come to notice he always seemed especially busy working at. I suppose it made more sense to say that he'd never had the time to come before rather than he'd never tried to.

"I do, yeah. Who's going to make sure you don't buy everything with your own money, if not me?" He remarked, a teasing tone in his voice. Against my will, my lips twitched up of their own accord, shaking my head in amusement. I couldn't say he was wrong because I had been doing that quite a lot when I went shopping.

"Fine, then." I relented, deciding not to make a big deal about him wanting to tag along, if only to make sure I used his credit card and not my own. "I guess we should go." I announced to him, watching as he unlocked the front door. I walked over and he smiled down at me as he swung open the front door, letting in a cool breeze that felt nice when it hit my face and blew my hair back slightly. He held the front door open for me and let me walk out first, just as gentlemanly as he always was. "Thank you." I murmured as I passed him, the scent of apricots hitting me as I did.

"You sure you're not going to be cold in that?" Mr. Hemmings asked as he followed me out onto the front porch, making me pause and glance over at him while he locked the door. "No, I think it'll be fine." I shrugged, not that worried about it. I mean, after all, I was wearing a pair of dark denim skinny jeans and a black long sleeved bodysuit that had a plunging neckline, with a simple pair of black heels on my feet. It wasn't a warm outfit but it was enough. Besides, it wasn't like I'd be outside very much anyways.

"Um..." He mumbled, fiddling with his keys as he turned to face me. "But it....it doesn't do a very good job at covering your breasts, Ms. Verdine:" He told me as if I didn't know, his blue eyes drifting down my neck and eventually stopping at my chest. I could tell he was trying his best to keep it professional, since we were both technically working, but that seemed kind of pointless to do when he was openly looking at my breasts.

I couldn't help but to become flustered as he looked at me, eyeing me in a way that was way more than friendly. "W-Well, it has long sleeves, so I'll be fine." I said, the sound of my voice making him finally snap out of it and look up at me again.

"Anyways, let's go." I added before anything else could be said, a heat in my cheeks as I turned away and began to walk towards his fancy car. He quietly caught up to me and I heard the car beep softly as he unlocked the doors, both of us getting in the front seats. It was quiet while I pulled my seatbelt on, the engine rumbling idly as he did the same. "Sorry for staring at you like that." He apologized suddenly, sounding rather embarrassed. I thought it was kind of adorable but I didn't tell him that, of course. "That's okay, though a little inappropriate." I teased subtly, smiling to myself.

Mr. Hemmings began to back out of the driveway, glancing over at me with a smile on his lips that showed off the dimple he had in his cheek. I felt my heart race a little faster at the sight of his smile, unsure how someone could ever have a smile so pretty. "Are we going to be getting a lot of groceries?" He asked, focusing back on the road instead of looking at me.

"Yeah, we don't have a whole lot left at the house." I answered, placing my purse on top of my thighs and leaning back into my seat more. "M'kay." He murmured, focusing on driving as we fell into a comfortable silence.

When we finally got to the store and he had parked the car, we got out and headed inside, where I grabbed a cart and began to lead him through the store. As I put things into the cart for different dinners, he watched me, occasionally piping in to ask what I needed to get something for. Luckily, he seemed to realize it was beginning to get on my nerves a little after I sent him a look after he asked again for the fifth time and then he stopped asking. "Sorry." He murmured sheepishly.

We continued to shop in a silence for a little while before he broke the silence again, seeming to be in the talkative mood. "Kira and I are going out to a party tomorrow night if you want to come with us." He mentioned, peering down at me.

I looked up at him, raising a brow. "You want me to come with you two to a party?" I asked, uncertain. Maybe I should've thought it was more weird that my boss was inviting me to a party with him and his girlfriend, but I was more worried about the fact that I'd likely become a third wheel if I did that. Being a third wheel was never fun, especially if you had feelings for one of the people you were third wheeling.

"Well...yeah. Why?" He frowned, watching as I tossed some cheese into the cart and then began to push the cart again. "What? You don't want to go?" He wondered, furrowing his brows. It seemed like he was upset that I wasn't really into the idea of going partying with them.

"I'm not sure. I don't mind parties, but..." I trailed off and bit my lip, looking away from him. It wasn't that I didn't like parties, they were fine to me. If I'm being honest, it was more that I didn't want to go with them. I'd have to watch Kira cling to him the entire night, have to watch them be together and I didn't really want to do that.

"But you don't want to go with us, specifically?" He guessed, hitting the nail right on the head. There was a slight look of hurt on his face when I glanced up at him, feeling guilty for hurting his feelings. I hadn't meant to, but I couldn't help how I felt. "I'm sorry." I said awkwardly, chewing on my cheek a little. He sighed heavily and shrugged his shoulders, crossing his arms over his chest. "You're sure I can't convince you?" He pouted at me hopefully.

Although he hadn't really had to try very hard, simply knowing that he wanted me to go swayed me, making me sigh deeply. I could be such a weakling. "Fine, I guess it wouldn't hurt." I relented reluctantly, staring up at him.

Mr. Hemmings grinned widely and I looked away, hoping to hide how embarrassed it made me to know that it affected him so much if I went or not. Perhaps it really wouldn't be so bad to see them together, if he just smiled at me like that more.