38

~Beyla's POV~

Yawning, I rolled my way out of bed, noticing that Luke wasn't asleep beside me this morning like he usually was. He must have woken up already, which meant that I was probably running behind.

I took a quick shower and kept my makeup basic for now, not having time to do a whole lot. Then, I pulled on my black skirt, black tube top, and the cropped black cardigan that I wore over the top before slipping my feet into some black heels. Of course I didn't have time to do anything with my hair, so I just blow dried it and then tied it up in a quick bun on my head. Deciding it was good enough for me, I exited my bedroom and snuck downstairs, knowing I needed to get breakfast made by now.

However, I was surprised to find when I entered that the kitchen was not as unoccupied as I'd thought it was. There stood Mr. Hemmings, already dressed in a sexy suit that he always wore when he was working, cooking breakfast on the stove.

Surprised, I blinked at his back and walked up beside him, causing him to look down at me with a smile. "Good morning, bambi. Seems like someone was sure tired." He teased, bumping my hip with his. I blushed and nodded my head, crossing my arms over my chest. "It's your fault for keeping me up so late last night. I still don't see why I needed to watch the movie Man on Fire right before bed. It was sad and gave me nightmares." I grumbled, earning a snicker that just made me pout.

"Anyways, why are you cooking breakfast? That's my job." I asked, finally voicing the question on my mind.

Mr. Hemmings smiled at me and shrugged, turning down the heat on the stove. "Because I wanted to. You looked so cute and comfortable sleeping, I figured I'd let you sleep in a little longer. I mean, it doesn't hurt to cook myself every once in a while." He said simply, making me smile slightly. "Hm. Who knew you could be so considerate?" I teased him, giggling as I slipped my hand around his bicep. He raised a brow, glancing down at my hand briefly as I reached down and discreetly turned off the stove, noticing he was about to burn his food. "I can too be considerate, especially if it's of you." He grumbled, seemingly pouting.

I smiled and pushed up on my toes a little, kissing him on the cheek. "Aw, you're so cute when you pout like that." I snickered, making him groan as his cheeks turned pink. "I'm not pouting!" He grunted, embarrassed.

Refraining from giggling at him any further, I bumped him out of the way of the stove with my hip, his sparkling eyes lighting up with surprise as I did so. "Hey!" He huffed, crossing his arms over his chest. "Your food has been done for a while, and you were on the verge of burning it." I said to him, picking up the lid and placing it over the pan so the warmth would stay inside. Surprised, Mr. Hemmings blinked at me and then appeared even more embarrassed, making me laugh. "Don't worry. I turned the stove off when you weren't paying attention." I assured, smiling to myself as I grabbed a plate from the cabinet.

"Bambi, I'm supposed to be the one always teasing you. When did the tables turn?" He complained, wrapping his strong arms around me from behind and nuzzling his cheek into my hair.

Pretending to think about it, I hummed and tapped my chin. "Probably when I came downstairs to find you making breakfast instead of me."

Luke grumbled and I smiled, twisting around in his arms to hand him the plate I held in my hands still. He accepted it, murmuring his thanks, and I smiled softly up at him. Silence rang out over the kitchen and settled between us, our gazes strongly interlocked. I could tell that he had something on his mind. I wondered if it was the same thing that had been making him behave so odd these past few days. Was it possible he was regretting letting Kira go for me, and that he now wanted her back?

"Are you okay? Seems like you've had something on your mind lately." I worried, gently wrapping my arms around his waist as I rested my chin on his chest and peered up at him.

The smile he gave me was shaky and weak. "I'm fine, bambi." He said softly. "Just been thinking." He added vaguely, not really helping me with the worries popping up in my head every second. I hesitated for a moment, biting my lip. "Are...Are you missing Kira?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper. Some part of me didn't really want the answer, too scared that he would say yes.

To my surprise, his lips twitched. "No, it's not that." He chuckled, shaking his head. I felt a twinge of relief in my belly and the pressure lifted off of my shoulders. Was it bad I was glad he didn't miss her? "Oh." I whispered.

I stepped away, thinking that he might've not wanted to talk about it, since he seemed to be sort of tip toeing around the topic. Maybe he wasn't in the mood to share, which I could accept. I'd never want to make him feel like he had to do something, so I smiled at him. "I should probably get started cleaning. I slacked off a little bit more than usual yesterday." I admitted sheepishly, giving him an apologetic grin as I brushed a stray hair back behind my ear.

Before I could leave, he grabbed onto my wrist, tugging me to a stop. I glanced at him over my shoulder, frowning in confusion as I noticed his free hand tighten around the plate before he set it on the counter. "Beyla..." He said softly, the gentle tone of his voice making goosebumps rise on my skin. I looked at him curiously, silently encouraging him to tell me if he wanted to.

More silence passed. "I love you." He said eventually, so quiet I almost didn't catch it. Only almost.

I froze, staring up at him in surprise as my lips parted at their own accord. He loved me? It seemed so surreal I almost didn't believe him at first, honestly. "Really?" I asked quietly, peering up at him as I bit my lip. I could feel my cheeks aching, my lips threatening to break out into a big grin. When he nodded his head, I couldn't stop myself from doing exactly that, grinning widely up at him. "I love you too." I said. I spotted another blush in his cheeks and his eyes glinted with happiness as he grinned, but I imagined I looked the same.

We might've looked a little bit dumb, just grinning like idiots at one another in the middle of the kitchen, but it wasn't like either one of us cared. "You have no idea how much I've been wanting to say that to you." He sighed out with relief, kissing my knuckles as his fingers laced with mine. "And hearing it back..." He trailed off and gave me a playful wink, his other hand pinching my butt. "Makes me wanna take you upstairs for a few more hours." He flirted, making me snort.

"Keep on dreaming, sir. I have to clean, unlike some people." I said smartly, reluctantly pulling my hand out of his. He rolled his eyes at my dramatics. "Well, at least I pay you for it." He retorted, beginning to turn around to grab his plate on the counter. I didn't respond, knowing I definitely couldn't argue with that. He was right, after all. I leaned against the counter, watching him grab his plate and a fork before he turned to me again. "By the way, bambi," He began, placing a kiss on my lips. "I'm taking you out to lunch today." He mentioned.

Surprised, I blinked at him. "Huh? Why?" I frowned, not wanting him to have to do something like that. But alas, I had learned one of his favorite things to do was treat me out to lunch and dinner. "Why?" He echoed, smiling softly. "A man can't take his girlfriend to lunch just because he loves her?" He teased, making me stifle a smile. "Not in this day and age." I played along, shaking my head.

Luke hummed and leaned in. "Then call it a gesture of appreciation for being my girlfriend and for always cuddling with me and then maybe I'll let you pay for dessert, since I know you hate when I pay for everything." He negotiated, making me perk up. I always felt bad when he paid, which he knew by now, so I wasn't going to miss out on this chance.

"Okay." I nodded eagerly, looking up at him. "Deal."