26

~Luke's POV~

I was trying to get along with Beyla again, to see her as just a friend, or at least as my employee and nothing more. However, that shit seemed absolutely fucking impossible.

"What are you going to get?" Beyla asked as she sat across from me, her big brown eyes filled with curiosity when she peered over the top of her menu at me. It was such a simple action but it made my heart race, wondering how someone could possibly be so adorable.

"U-Um.." I mumbled and looked down at my own menu, not wanting her to know that I had been so busy just looking at her that I actually hadn't even decided what I wanted. Shit, I hadn't even looked at the menu yet. "I'm probably going to do the BLT." I finally decided, glancing up at her again. She hummed and bit her bottom lip, seeming to be considering something. "I think I'll get the lemon chicken wraps with creamy sriracha sauce." She said, setting her menu to the side. I set mine on top of hers and she glanced around the restaurant we were in, taking in her surroundings. "Have you been here before?" She asked me curiously, her brown gaze drawing over to me again.

"No, this is my first." I said, looking around the cozy little restaurant. When I'd asked to take her out for lunch, I'd had something a little more lavish in mind, but she had insisted that we go somewhere more casual and not super expensive like we had last time. I'd just wanted to make up for having said she was slacking in getting work done a few days ago, but I figured whatever she wanted would work as well. Even though I was sure she'd forgiven me by now, I still felt bad for saying it because it wasn't true. She worked hard and well every single day.

"Beyla?" I asked before she could pop in with something else, wanting her attention on me. She smiled and I felt a shiver run down my spine, little goosebumps rising on my arms. Her smile was radiant as the sun. "Yeah?" She asked, cocking her head to the side curiously.

I bit my lip and just looked at her for a second, taking her in. She looked beautiful today, not that that was really anything new because she looked beautiful everyday. "I..." My mouth went dry as I peered down at her full lips, painted over with a clear and shiny gloss, tempting me. "I want to kiss you." I blurted, glancing up into her eyes again. She blinked in surprise and faltered, rather taken aback by my sudden confession. "You already know what I'm going to say." She said quietly, looking away.

A waiter approached our table and began to take Beyla's order first, her response making me sigh deeply and slouch back against the booth in defeat. These past few days, there had been several times I had confessed to her that I wanted to kiss her, probably every time I saw her face. She rejected me each time, like it was nothing, and sometimes she wouldn't even respond. I knew what she would say, but it still was never any easier to hear.

But I'd be an idiot to say that I didn't understand her reasoning. She didn't want to do anything with me to help me be unfaithful and I didn't have it in me to just break up with Kira. I wasn't sure of my feelings for my own girlfriend anymore, but I knew the ones I had for Beyla were stronger now.

"And you, sir?" The waiter asked as he turned to me, having finished taking Beyla's order. I grumpily told him mine and then he left, leave me staring down at the table while Beyla looked at me from across the table. For once, I couldn't look back, still a little deterred from her rejection. Her rejections were nothing new and they still didn't stop me from trying, as horrible as that was, but that didn't change the fact that I wanted her bad and it hurt when she always pushed me away. It was my own fault, though.

"Are you okay, Mr. Hemmings?" I heard Beyla's soft voice speak up, gentle and sweet. I loved the way she spoke, the sound of her voice. "I told you that you can call me Luke when you're not working, Beyla." I said, glancing up at her finally.