15

~Beyla's POV~

I laid in bed and stared up at the ceiling, my dark hair still wet, as I had just gotten out of the shower. Taking a shower in the morning and then again at night was a habit I had always had. It just felt more clean to me.

My pillowcase was damp from my wet hair, of course, but I didn't really mind it. I was more concerned about the fact that it was Friday night and I was bored out of my mind, having nothing to do. Arsen had invited me to come over to spend time with him, but I declined on account of hearing Marigold complaining in the background at even the mere suggestion. So now I was left to lay alone and be bored, but I guess it was better than getting Arsen into another problem with his overly jealous girlfriend.

Before I could get anymore lost in my thoughts, there was suddenly a gentle knock on my bedroom door that I knew couldn't be from anyone other than Mr. Hemmings. I had spoken to him over the past few days since the incident in the kitchen, but only during the hours that I was actually working. Otherwise, I didn't bother speaking to him. Having a little grudge against him still, I ignored his knock and pushed my headphones into my ears despite the fact that they weren't playing any music. I didn't want to talk to him after he had the nerve to tell me he hadn't meant anything by what he had done, so I was going to ignore him and, if it came down to it, pretend like I hadn't heard him knocking.

I had planned to continue to go about my business, picking up my phone from beside me on my bed, but suddenly my bedroom door was swung open. Out of surprise I dropped my phone and it gently hit my bed, sinking into the blankets as my head whipped up and my gaze trained on the large figure stood in the doorway.

Mr. Hemmings had never been one to just barge right into my room before so I was taken aback, blinking at him in surprise. Normally it wouldn't have bothered me to have him just sauntering in like this, as this was still just a room I was in in his house, but this time was different. This time I was irritated with him, but I tried my best to still be civil and respectful towards him as I sat up in my bed and yanked out my headphones. "Mr. Hemmings? Is everything alright, sir?" I asked him as I lifted my blankets up over my chest more, forcing the kindness into my voice.

His blue eyes dipped down my neck and briefly glanced at my exposed cleavage, which I was trying my best to hide from him. "No, Ms. Verdine. I actually have something that I need your help with." He confessed, surprising me once again. Because I was currently off the clock, I had been asking purely to be civil, if I'm being honest here. I hadn't actually expected him to need something from me. "Oh?" I frowned, narrowing my eyes slightly. "What exactly do you need me to help you with?" I asked, curious.

I knew I didn't have much of a choice in the matter, but helping Mr. Hemmings with whatever it was he needed was perhaps the last thing I wanted to do at this point in time. After how he had the nerve to dismiss me and pretend as if what he'd done in the kitchen was absolutely nothing...well, I was angry, and I felt like he owed me both an apology and an explanation. What he had done had been wrong and inappropriate, but I wasn't going to pretend like I hadn't been apart of it. If anything, I was just as much to blame as he was. I'd liked it, after all, and maybe that was the worst part of all of it.

"There's an event tomorrow night that I have to attend for work. Kind of like a party. Anyways, I need you to come with me as my plus one." He answered, leaning against the doorframe as he watched me digest this new information.

"Party?" I asked, perking up. A party certainly didn't sound that bad at all. I bit my lip and cocked my head to the side, curious. "Is it...Is it like a formal party?" I asked distastefully, frowning at the mere thought. I had never been to formal parties, like balls and such, but the idea alone put me off.