24

~Beyla's POV~

I hummed to myself as I began to dust, pushing up onto my tippy toes as best as I could in my heeled booties. It had been a little while since I'd dusted downstairs, so that was one of the chores on my to do list for today. Dusting was actually one of the chores that I found more relaxing out of them all, probably because it didn't take very much effort. However, I was pretty short even with my shoes on, so a lot of the time I had to stretch when I wanted to dust someplace above me.

After I had finished dusting in the living room and dining room, I moved to the kitchen, finishing up dusting downstairs. It was a lot easier than the other rooms, as there was less to dust since I cleaned in here everyday, so not much dust had gathered since the last time I'd dusted. Once I finished, I decided I should probably go ahead and put up Mr. Hemmings' laundry, as well as Kira's, since I'd washed and dried it earlier. All that was left to do was put it up.

The big white laundry basket was hardly able to hold all of their clothes as I packed them inside, having to push and press down on the clothes so they'd be further down in the basket and not nearly toppling out of it. I smiled to myself when I managed to stuff them all in, picking up the heavy basket before I headed upstairs and into their bedroom, which was currently empty since Kira was at work and Mr. Hemmings was in his office. As I flicked on the light as I entered and glanced around their room, I took the time to actually notice for once that Mr. Hemmings had a very nice bedroom. Even though I'd come in here a number of times now, I'd never really paid attention to how it looked, but now I was noticing it looked very nice.

His floors were a dark wood and the walls a light grey, with a large queen sized bed in the middle of the floor. It had a metal bed frame without a headboard, the bed pressed up against the black ledge that went halfway up the wall behind his bed, which had LED lights in it. The sheets, blankets, and pillowcases were all black and looked rather comfortable, their grey dresser set up directly across the room from the bed. Next to their bed was a grey bedside table that had a half burned vanilla candle on it and a modern black lamp, Mr. Hemmings' scent of apricots faintly hung in the room.

Their bathroom was to the left side of the room and they had their large walk in closet to the right of their dresser, with the TV hung on the wall above the dresser. Mr. Hemmings had kept his room quite simple and there really wasn't much decoration, but it was still a nice room.

Once I was done ogling his bedroom, I began to separate their clothes on top of their bed, making a pile for Kira's clothes and another pile for Mr. Hemmings' clothes. Surprisingly, his pile was much bigger than hers, though I couldn't say why. They both had a lot of clothes in general though, to be fair, but I knew that overall Kira easily beat him in how much she had.

I grabbed some hangers out of their closet and sat down between the two piles of clothes, beginning to get to work. Some of their clothes they liked hung up, whereas other clothes, such pajamas and the like, they wanted to be folded and put in the dresser. However, I was pretty sure everyone was that way. There was just a certain way everyone liked their clothes to be put up. I hung up Kira's clothes on the left side of the closet and Mr. Hemmings' clothes on the right, making sure his side was perfectly color coordinated like I had noticed he liked for it to be.

Once their clothes were hung up, I sat back down on the bed and began folding the rest, softly humming to myself. I was so caught up in folding the laundry that I didn't even notice someone entering the bedroom until they spoke up.

"Any reason you've made yourself comfortable on my bed, Ms. Verdine?" Mr. Hemmings asked in a flat tone, sounding moody. He was always moody lately. If I'm being honest, I knew it was because I had rejected his advances yet again. It was almost comical that something so simple made him so pissy, but I didn't comment on it.

"Oh, Mr. Hemmings." I greeted him with an awkward smile, wondering how I hadn't heard him come in. "I'm just folding laundry." I said, shrugging. It wasn't new for me to sit on their bed while I did laundry, at all. In fact, he had seen me do this many times by now, so I knew he wasn't actually bothered by it but rather was just in a foul mood. "Whatever." He murmured, brushing it off.

I slipped out of his big bed and grabbed a stack of folded laundry, heading over to the dresser to put them in one of Kira's drawers. "Is everything okay, sir? Did you need me to do something?" I asked when I noticed he was just standing there silently, his intense blue eyes still watching me. "No, there's nothing wrong." He said in a murmur, eyeing my attire closely. "But I'm having a guest over. You remember Ashton, I'm guessing?" He assumed, to which I eagerly nodded my head. It felt like it had been a long time since I had met Ashton, who I thought was rather nice. He seemed like fun.

Mr. Hemmings' eyes wandered back down to my outfit for what seemed like the tenth time in less than a minute, a little frown on his face that made me frown as well. "Is there something wrong with what I'm wearing?" I asked him, since it seemed like he wasn't going to say what was on his mind himself. It was hard to tell if he approved of my outfit for today or not, which was weird. The grey dress I had on had long sleeves and a high neckline, so it looked rather professional and simple, despite its tight fit.

He let out a noise and furrowed his brows in thought, as if he were unsure. "Well," Mr. Hemmings began in a mutter, eyeing the hem of my dress as it fell around my thighs. "You don't....You don't think it's too short?" He frowned.

The question made me frown in confusion, looking up at him as I hesitantly shook my head. "I've worn skirts and dresses shorter than this before while working." I pointed out, not seeing the problem with it. It fell below mid-thigh and really wasn't as short as he was making it out to be. And even if it was, I wasn't sure why he was only mentioning it now. He'd never said anything against my outfits before.

There was a brief silence that settled between us before he cleared his throat, still frowning. "But that's different. I'm the only one who sees you in those, and sometimes Kira." He argued, crossing his arms over his chest. I was beginning to see he was actually very adamant about this, for whatever reason. "What?" I raised a brow at him, cocking my head to the side. "You're worried about Ashton seeing me in this, when he has already seen me in a shorter dress? Why?" I asked, clueless. Whatever way I tried to look at it from, it just made no sense. There was no logic in it.

My question seemed to make him embarrassed because I saw his cheeks tint the slightest shade of pink, something I had only ever seen one other time, which was not nearly enough for me. He looked so cute when he blushed. "B-Because!" He exclaimed simply, snapping slightly as he became flustered. "I just...It will reflect on me, how I allow you to dress. You're working for me, even if it is just at home." He explained a little more calmly, watching me as I continued to put up more clothes in the dresser.

"So, what?" I frowned, raising a brow at him as I finished putting all of the laundry away. "You really want me to go change just so you can save face?" I asked, not really approving. Still, I knew I couldn't really say anything, on account of the fact that he was my boss and I sort of had to do what he said.

However, Mr. Hemmings seemed to catch onto the fact that he had upset me a little, causing him to go quiet as he looked at me. He seemed to be reconsidering what he'd said. "No, no. That's okay." He decided, quickly shaking his head. "You look nice, I was just...I guess I was just worried he might try to flirt with you or something." He confessed, looking away as he bit his full bottom lip. I stared at him for a minute, realizing what this was truly about. He wasn't really concerned about the length of my dress, even though he tried to make it seem that way.

No, this was about him feeling jealous. He just didn't want to watch someone flirt with me.