The Night With No End

Once she was through the doors George and Fred practically materialized at her sides. They all sat quickly, as more and more people began to filter in and find their seats.

The hall was decorated with mournful black, and Lyra had a difficult time looking at it. She kept her head down, drowned the world out. Only tuning back in to stand and raise a glass for Cedric, and then for Harry. She stopped herself from looking at him as she said his name. She told herself it was because everyone else would be staring at him, but truthfully it was to avoid seeing his pain. The same way she couldn't bring herself to look any Hufflepuff in the eyes.

"There is one more student who I'd like to honor this day. One who may not have competed alongside Cedric or Harry in the tournament, but one who showed an equal amount of bravery."
Dumbledore raised his cup into the air once again as he found Lyra's eyes. Her heart clenched and she grabbed onto Georges's arm for support. "I honor Lyra Stone, who discovered an imposter in our midst when even I and her teachers did not. Who then took it into her own hands to try and stop him in order to protect our school and her friends when no one else would."

George had pulled her into him now, holding her up and protecting her from the peoples gazes around her. She heard her name spoken by hundreds of students, honoring her. She felt sick.

They sat after that, George still holding her shaking form close. He glared up at Dumbledore, wondering why on earth he thought that's what would be best for Lyra.

"Don't go back to Ravenclaw Tower tonight." he whispered into her ear, "Come back to Gryffindor with us."

She gave him a sad smile, it was tempting but shook her head no. "I think it may be best to be with my fellow Ravenclaws tonight."

He sighed but did not argue.

When she returned to her dorm Lyra glanced over at her unpacked trunk. It wasn't like her to wait last minute, and she had put in a valiant effort in appearing too busy to pack. Looking at it, reminded her too much of the chest. She'd never admit such an irrational fear to herself, but it was there. Raising her heartbeat every time she leaned into the trunk and placed something in it.

It was a long grueling process, but she got through it. She flopped down in bed, excited for sleep to come. But it did not, her emotions and thoughts too loud to let her sleep. She thought about dumbledore, his speech at the feast. About her talk with Moody. About Cedric and Harry.

The dark neverending sky began to lighten ever so slightly in shade. Lyra gave up on sleep. She swung out of bed, showered, changed and headed down to the common room. A blanket wrapped around her arms and her silvery-white cat at her side.

She figured it would have been empty, she often came down on sleepless nights and curled up with a book. Fred and George joked that the Library was her home, but really no place felt safer than a nook in her common room. When she did enter the room though, there was someone there. Usually, Lyra would have just found a different nook, far away from the person, but for some reason she found herself drawn to them.

A sniffling girl looked up as Lyra approached. She sat curled on the edge of the couch closest to the fire, which was nothing left but embers.
"Couldn't sleep either huh?" Lyra asked.

"S-sorry." She said, looking away. "I didn't want to wake my roommates."

It was Cho Chang, one of the most popular girls in Ravenclaw house. Also previously Cedric Diggerys girlfriend. Lyra studied her. Her own heart aching with fear and loss. "Do you think, do you think it would be okay if I sat with you for a bit?"

She looked up again, and something seemed to pass between them. Maybe when she looked up at Lyra, she could see her heartache too. "S-Sure."

She sat, both girls awkwardly quiet, the tension high. "Your names Lyra right? You're the one Dumbledore mentioned at dinner?"