Chapter 5

They picked a Chinese restaurant which is perfectly fine with me. It's one of my favorite types of food with Mexican being my first choice. We're shown to our table by a small, older woman who eyes us wearily. I don't blame her. All of us, except for Carter who throws off the vibe, look like a bunch of thugs. To make matters worse, it's nearly midnight. It's strange the place is open so late. If they don't want trouble, why not close at ten or eleven like most places?

Regardless, I can't find it in myself to smile at the woman. Truth is, I don't feel like smiling. I don't like the table we're seated at. A big circular table centered right in the middle of the restaurant. I prefer tables that are situated near walls. That way I can sit against the wall and have the view of the place and the people in it. But, tonight, we're the only ones here. So I suppose this will do. I don't need to feel trapped. I hate feeling trapped. I sit down, still uncomfortable with the fact that my back is facing the door.

The hostess who I now realize is also our waitress, passes out thick menus to each of us. The menus look like they are about to fall apart they're so old. I trace my fingers over the gold leaf, double dragon design. I'm no stranger to it. I've been here dozens of times as a kid not with my family, but with the housekeeper who would occasionally pick up dinner if my father wanted Chinese. God forbid he take the fam out for a meal together.

"They have the best egg rolls!" Carter bounces in his seat.

The other guys agree. I say nothing. I don't need to agree. Everyone knows Double Dragon's egg rolls are the best.

"I hope they never go out of business," Donovan whispers to himself, concentrating on the menu.

"Why would they go out of business?" Carter worries.

This is annoying. I don't know why I came. Sometimes I don't know why I hang around these morons. "They're not going out of business for anything other than retirement. Relax."

All eyes shift to me, but I don't bother looking up from the menu. I'm in a dicey mood. They all know it was because of the exchange I had with Luna. Well, more so with Carter bringing up my lack of finesse dealing with women. What the fuck is his goal? I throw my menu down when the waitress comes back asking for drink orders. I order a water. I'm not a drinker. Maybe a beer or two here and there, but other than that, I make it a point to never become intoxicated like my dumbass friends who all order a round of drinks. I'm their designated driver.

"So," Carter begins.

I should really pound his face in. My eye twitches. He shifts in his seat uncomfortable. I do have to say, the kid is pretty brave. He knows my temper. Dragging in a deep breath, I give him permission to proceed with a look.

"Shy." Carter smirks.

"Get it out of your system, Carter." I wave him on.

"Ah yeah. According to you, Shy is too shy to talk to chicks," Alex chuckles at Carter.

"Yup. I'm one hundred percent convinced."

Donovan shakes his head, "And how in the world did you come up with this idea?"

"Simple. He never talks to them. Like...ever."

"So?" I shrug. "Why do I need to?"

"Well I don't know about you, but I like having a girlfriend."

"Not all of us want a girlfriend, Carter." Tyler interjects. "I don't want one. I'm too poor."

"Yeah, but, Shy ain't poor," Carter throws out.

The guys agree. They're right. I'm not poor. But what they think sustains me is my parents' money and that's not quite right either. I'm not attending school on their dime. Thank God for small favors. I received a full scholarship. The money in my bank account is money I earned last summer from striking a deal with a very large video game company selling a virtual reality video gaming device I invented. It's going to revolutionize virtual reality gaming and make me money for many years to come. But no one knows that, nor do they need to. I swear video game nerds get a bad rap, but I don't care. Video games saved my life during one of the hardest times and have made me rich. So anyone that wants to hate on games can suck my dick.