Chapter 13

I'm staying true to my word. Blue skinny jeans, no holes, with a white t-shirt tucked in and set off with a chunky black belt and black combat-style ankle boots. In my opinion, I look cute. Although, the shirt is somewhat thin. I can see my white t-shirt bra through it. Maybe I should have chosen a nude colored bra. The white is too visible. Ugh! I don't have time to change. I need the extra time for my mascara and gloss! Of course my hair is a hot mess as well. Should I braid it? Yeah.

Quickly, I twist my hair in one long plait and assess my appearance. Frowning, I tear apart the braid. I hate it. Sighing, I pick up my brush and work through the tangles until my hair is straight. What happened to all of the waves from this morning? Huh. My hair gave up. I don't blame it. It's tired. Fudge it. I'll just tuck my bangs behind my ears like so, annnd there. I think I'm the queen of sighing. This look is not impressive. Wait. Wasn't that what I was going for?

"Mission accomplish," I shrug.

What time is it? Five forty-five. He should be here in fifteen minutes. It'll be interesting to see if he'll be on time. I wonder where we're even going? I'm not looking forward to having to eat in front of him. It's the worst. Eating in front of people for the first time. I'm always uncomfortable. It's not that I'm a messy eater or anything. It's just so...awkward. I wonder if he's a messy eater? I wonder if we're going to get pizza? I could really go for some pizza right now. I'd love to dive into a Chicago style deep dish. By myself of course.

"You ready to g...," Kiki smacks her head. "What are you wearing? I thought you were kidding about the jeans and t-shirt thing!"

I shrug, "Nope," and pop the p.

"This is a...a monstrosity. You need to change, pronto."

"No way."

"Come on, Luna. You are so beautiful, and you can look even more beautiful if you just put on a dress or something hot!"

Uh oh. Kiki has that look in her eyes. It's a look she gets when she's ready to take action. This girl is about to pounce on me and if I don't run now, it'll be game over. She'll make me fashionable and there's no way that's gonna happen! I rebuke fashion, at least for today. Without a moment to lose, I bolt out of my room and run around the apartment.

When you're running from someone, the worst thing you can do is look back at your attacker. For some reason, that small movement of your head seems to slow the entire body down. So why I'm doing just that, I don't know. I can't afford to be slower than I already am. Lord knows I'm super slow at running to begin with. Holy Mother Mary, she's fast! I shriek louder than intended, throwing my arms in the air as I make it into the kitchen.

We don't hear our doorbell or the knocking or the door open. Kiki and I are too busy with our cat and mouse game. Although, this is no game. This is serious business. I am a graceful gazelle, and she the lioness. I must use my long legs and wit to escape my attacker lest I be a meal for the ferocious beast that has decided to target me. I must run. Run like the wind. Leap onto the couch and nimbly grab a throw pillow. Yes! Never before have I been so agile on my feet. Perhaps I should try out for track after all. With a war cry, I wing the pillow at Kiki's head.

Ha ha! I hit my target, and rather hard I see as her head snaps to the side.

"Oof!"

The lioness is undaunted as she slaps the pillow away and lunges for me. Little does the lioness know, the gazelle is more than prepared for her next move. The gazelle has perched herself quite smartly on top of the couch's back, balancing oh so precariously yet perfectly. At the very last moment, the gazelle screeches a death cry and jumps as high as possible with an aim for the armchair. But, alas, the poor gazelle hasn't pushed off hard enough and is headed for disaster! Oh my god, I'm going to smash my face onto the floor!