Hello, Handsome

(Haven's POV)

The grocery store was loud and bustling as usual. I made my way up and down the aisles, checking things off the shopping list from my grandpa, one by one. I came to a stop near the toy aisle, trying to decipher his handwriting. I muttered aloud to myself, "Vomkins? Nurmions?" What in the world?

   My thoughts were interrupted by a puppet flying into my grocery cart out of nowhere. It crashed against the side of the cart. I squeaked in surprise. It was a puppet of a young girl in a 19th century dress. Where did you—?

   "Blast it all!" Shouted a British man from down the aisle.

   I turned. My eyes fell on a tall, slender, handsome man, probably in his early 30's. His hair was brown and slightly askew atop his beautiful head. His face covered in fluffy, facial hair. A pair of rectangular glasses rested on his nose, showcasing his stunning blue eyes. His lovely face was contorted in frustration.

   The man yanked the puppet from my cart, not paying my existence any mind. "I don't understand, I just don't understand! Why aren't you working? Hmm? Did your batteries die, is that it?" His words flew from his mouth at a hundred miles an hour.

   "But you don't have batteries. You don't run on batteries. See look at it, no batteries!" He shoved the puppet in my face.

   Even more startled than before, I took a step back, my mouth open without any words coming out. What was this guy's problem??

   He tossed the puppet behind him, then began rummaging through the display full of them that was right next to me. "So who works, then? Is it one of your friends? How does he decide?"

   Suddenly the British man whipped out a small, silver instrument from his coat pocket. The tip of it lit up in bright blue, and it made a buzzing noise as he ran it across the display. A Kermit the Frog puppet fell to floor. "Ah, HA! There you are, you little—" Then he chucked it across the aisle. "No! Another decoy!"

   Some store employees were heading in our direction now. I realized my mouth was still hanging open and quickly shut it. I decided now was a good time to step away, pulling my cart back with me. A lot of people had stopped to watch by now, most of them recording the whole scene with their smartphones.

   By the time the employees got to the British man he was busy interrogating Mrs. Piggy, his buzzy stick against her throat. "Where is he?? Take me to your leader!"

   "Sir, sir, we're gonna have to ask you to leave," one employee said in a level tone, trying not to escalate the situation.

   The British man was not having it. He chucked Mrs. Piggy into the display, maintaining eye contact with the employee who had interrupted him. "Look what you've done—now she won't talk!"

   Another employee spoke up. "Sir, if you don't calm down and leave, we're gonna call the police."

   The Brit snorted angrily. "No, no, she saw it." He was pointing at me?? "Didn't you, lady? You saw it. These puppets are monsters!"

   I stuttered. "I-I-I didn't see anything!"

   He threw his hands up in exasperation. "Yes you—!" His head suddenly snapped to the side, his eyes squinting at something out the front doors. Just as one of the employees opened her mouth again the Brit booked it for the entrance, slamming into the automatic doors that didn't move fast enough for him. Once he was outside he turned and ran out of sight.

Well, that was... weird.

*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'*゚ *'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・**・゜゚・

"Hi, Mama. I'm back!" I announced, stepping into the house with several grocery bags hanging from each hand.

   My mom looked up from her book, laying in her usual spot. "Hi, honey. Were you able to find everything?"

   I set the bags on the kitchen table. "Yeah, eventually. I just—something really weird happened."

   I explained the whole scenario with the odd Brit. I wondered why he'd acted so strangely. Maybe he was high? Other than acting crazy, he didn't really show any signs of being high. He didn't wreak of anything, and his eyes looked fine—and I would know!

   My grandma, who was sitting on the couch, made an uncomfortable face. "That's strange. Stay away from weirdos like that, Haven."

   "I know, I was trying to," I explained. "He just sorta showed up out of nowhere."

   "People like that are crazy," she continued. "You did the right thing stepping away. Best not to get involved with them."

*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'*゚ *'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・**・゜゚・

"Wait, you had a weird day too??" Harmony asked, an amused smile on her face. Her bleached hair was in a braid, resting on her shoulder that was draped over by her usual black cardigan.

   I giggled. "'Too'? What happened to you?"

   "Well, first of all this cute Irish guy showed up with a pug. But he was also kinda weird, I dunno."

   I laugh. "He was weird," I repeated.

   "Yeah," she continued. "He just... I dunno.. acted kinda strange. And then I heard this noise in the basement and we never really figured it out."

   "That is weird."

   "Oh yeah!" Harmony suddenly burst out. "And then, as I was leaving, this British redhead came shoving past me after a dog and made me fall into the snow. I mean, he apologized, but it was just an interesting little experience." She ended with a laugh.

   "Oh, my, that is strange."

   I then began to retell my day's events. Harmony looked shocked. "Oh, my goodness," she said. "What the heck. That is so weird!"

   I smiled. "But on the bright side he was very handsome, and his eyes were gorgeous!"

   Harmony burst out laughing. I shushed her, not wanting to disturb my family. But I was laughing, too.

   "Yeah, he's kinda crazy," She said between giggles, "but at least his eyes are gorgeous!"

   I slapped her, still laughing. "Oh, hush!"

   The night continued like that—the two of us laughing at the stupidest things, watching random YouTube videos we found amusing, and doodling in our sketchbooks. We always did stuff like that. And no matter how many times we did, we never got sick of it.

   Ten o'clock rolled around a little too quickly for our taste, and it was time for Harmony to head home. She zipped up her coat and slung her little backpack over her shoulders. We hugged goodbye. "Ok," she said, "Love ya! Watch out for Crazy British Dude!"

   I laughed. "I will. You watch out for Weird Irish Man."

   I shut the front door after her.

   "Did you two have fun?" My mom asked. She was watching a movie on the television now, but had the sound turned down at the moment.

   I opened my mouth to answer, but no sound ever escaped. Because just outside, somewhere in the night, I heard my friend scream.

Written by A.F.