Flames and Games

(Haven's POV)

My bed was on the floor of the cottage, my eyes closed but my ears alert, as I listened to the hushed conversation between Harmony and the Master. Once the two went to sleep, all was quiet, and I felt my anxiety start to show its ugly head.

   I laid there, consumed by the nagging thoughts of how truly awful this was. Each scenario that filled my mind of how this all could turn out after we find the Director was scarier than the last. Turning with my blankets, I lay to the side, facing the Doctor.

   His eyelashes sitting on his cheeks reminded me of a butterfly resting on a flower, and somehow that distracted me from my worry. He had taken off his suit jacket and was now in a blue dress shirt and his dress pants. I watched the rise and fall of his chest; he had such a content look on his face. I wondered if he was worried about the Director's plans.

   He rolled to his side and our eyes caught. I nervously closed mine, hoping he didn't notice, and tried to act like I was just getting comfy. I snuggled myself into my blanket and hoped he was back to sleep. Curiosity got the best of me, and I looked to see if he was out, but found his eyes open and on me.

    "Can't sleep?" he whispered.

   I nodded. "I'm worried."

   The Doctor's eyes held compassion in them. "Darling, steady your mind. Try to get some sleep."

   His smile and kind words helped me very little. "I can't. I try to act like this will all work out, but what if it doesn't?" I felt a knot in my stomach, then a hand touched mine.

   "You can't fix it tonight, but you need rest." The Doctor walked on his knees over to me, pulling along his pillow and blanket, and started to make his bed even closer to mine. He lightly tapped Alastiere and asked him in a whisper to scoot over to the Master. Alastiere gave a nod and started to curl up closer to the dark-haired man.

   I let out a light giggle when the Master opened his eyes to be shocked that Alastiere was right there.

Giving the boy a shove, he looked to why he was so close.

   I was curled into the Doctor's side, feeling my eyes getting heavy while he started raking his hand soothingly through my messy blonde hair.

   "Get a room." The Master's voice was very annoyed, but I heard little of their bickering before I was fast asleep.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*CRASH*

   "What the bloody heck was that?" The Doctor moaned, still partly asleep. I felt the vibrations from his words, and it woke me from my peaceful slumber.

   "Alastiere! Go back to bed. No one wants your revolting 'Pancake Surprise' this early," the Master growled.

   "It wasn't me, Master. It was that!" I heard the young boy's voice shake.

   I rolled out of the Doctor's embrace and opened my eyes; to wish I never did. There in in middle of the coffee table was a puppet. Its wooden hands grabbed a candle, the flame working its way up to its arms, and soon the marionette was completely engulfed.