Casting Call

(Haven's POV)

"Wake up, dearie."

   I blinked and rubbed my eyes. Everything was blurry and my head felt foggy, like I'd just woken up from a bad nap, and I couldn't quite recall what was going on.

   A figure was standing just in front of me, but I couldn't tell who they were. Then my vision cleared up. And I wished it hadn't.

   An aged face, long brown hair that was neatly parted down the middle, an uneven grin—the Director.

   "Ah, there she is. Good morning," he greeted softly with a sly smile.

   I drew in a breath, then realized someone was standing right behind me, too.

   "Move, and I'll stick you, brat!" Came a raspy, old voice.

   I turned my head sideways. A witch!!

   Her greenish skin, matted hair, and torn up black robes couldn't have added up to anything else. Not to mention the large bubbling caldron at the center of the room.

   My breaths were shaky. "Wh-what do you want with me?" I asked, turning back to the Director.

   His smile widened. "Patience, dearie. Not all the guests have arrived yet."

   "Guests?"

   As if on cue, two clouds of black smoke poofed into existence to my left. When they vanished, they left four people—two more witches, the Master, and my best friend.

   "Harmony!" I exclaimed, trying to lunge forward, forgetting I was supposed to be staying still.

   *prick!*

   "OUCH!"

   "I warned you, sweetie!" The witch cackled.

   Harmony and the Master both looked dazed and beaten up.

   My heart quickened with fear. "What did you do to them??"

   "Oh, this wasn't our doing," said the witch holding onto Harmony as the Director approached them, hobbling with his cane.

   "It would appear your friends are simply rather bad at caring for themselves," the Director mocked, taking Harmony's face up in his hand.

   Her head must have cleared enough by that point, because she sneered at the old man and yanked away. "Let me go," she mumbled out.

   "Leave her alone," the Master and I protested at the same time.

   I gave him an odd look, wondering why he cared.

   The Director chuckled. "How cute. And helpful. Each of your caring for the girl will make this so much easier."

   The Master gave his head a shake, seemingly clearing any remaining grogginess away. "Oh, please. The only thing I care about right now is seeing to your head on a platter."