Every Fairy Tale Needs a Good Old-Fashioned Ball

(Haven's POV)

The next couple of days thankfully passed by with little drama, minus the fact we were all having nightmares, Harmony most of all. The quiet and company we had with each other helped to put us at some ease. We colored together, played games, and just tried to talk and laugh together. The Doctor tried teaching us a card game with Gallifreyan playing cards, but we all had a hard time except for Alastiere.

   And speaking of the Doctor, he'd been acting odd as the days went on, sorta distant.

   Me being me, I worried that I might have done something wrong.

   "What? No, not at all, love," the Doctor had said, giving me a worried look. "You've done nothing wrong, promise. I, uh, suppose I've just been out of it with everything going on... yes.."

   I looked at him with concern. "Ok.. if you say so."

   Wasn't this kind of thing normal for him? Hadn't he said he's been going on these adventures almost all his life? So hundreds, no, thousands of years?

   Well, I supposed, he and the Master do apparently have some broken friendship between them. And with Alastiere regenerating.. maybe that's it. And I put it out of my mind for the time being.

*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'*゚ *'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・**・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*

On the morning of our third day in the Gallifreyan palace hospital, I came into Harmony's room to discover Marigold and Alastiere helping her get back on her feet. They cheered her on, like a couple of proud parents watching their infant, as she haltingly crossed the room without help.

   Her face burned red, and she threw her hands over it in embarrassment. "You guys are acting like I'm a baby, what the heck," she laughed.

   It was the first time I'd heard her laugh in days. I came in, applauding. "Harmony! You're walking!"

   "Not you too!" She protested, still giggling.

   "But you're walking! You're getting so much better." I hurried over, giving her a gentle hug.

   "Yeah, you better hope you're getting better," Mari added, coming up behind me. "Tonight's the ball."

   Harmony pulled back, looking down at the scars on the backs of her wrists and ankles.

   I furrowed my brows, still having a hard time seeing those big scars on her. It made me upset and angry.

   "I mean, I might have to sit down a lot, but I'll be fine," she said.

   Alastiere came up to us. "Just let us know if you're having a hard time tonight, Miss Harmony." The boy might have looked completely different, but every time he opened his mouth there was no mistaking he was still Alastiere.

   Harmony nodded. "Ok."

   There was a knock at the door.

   We turned to see a young Time Lady in bright red garments.

   She smiled. "Good, you're all here. Alastiere?"

   He perked up.

   "You're needed down the hall with the Doctor."

   He looked curious. "Oh. Ok!"

   Once he was gone, the Time Lady entered the room, followed by another Time Lady and a Time Lord, each of them adorned with the same vibrant red and gold clothing. They almost instantly came at us with measuring tape, taking us by surprise.