In the Doctor's Arms

(Haven's POV)

Arm in arm, the Doctor and I made our way to line up at the castle to enter the ball. As we stood, I shifted nervously, unsure if I could pull this off.

   The Doctor leaned down and whispered, "Don't look up, but they're keeping Marigold in that tower."

   The heat from his breath on my ear made my heart quicken in pace. I nodded, keeping my focus in front of me. My heart sank when we made it up to the man who was checking for an invite.

   The Doctor pulled a brown, leather wallet from his jacket and opened it, revealing a small blank paper, and handed it to the man.

   The man's eyes grew wide.

   I was sure we were done for and would probably be put in the dungeon for faking an invite, but then the man walked inside, motioning for us to follow.

   We stood at the top of a staircase; at the bottom, all the guests were mingling as a harp played in the background.

   "Shall I announce your arrival?" The man asked the Doctor.

   "You shall," the Doctor said in a dignified tone.

   "Where do you hail from?" the man asked.

   The Doctor looked to me trying to think up something quickly.

   "The Great Lakes." I said.

   "Announcing the arrival of Duke John Smith and Duchess Haven of The Great Lakes," the man said, sending all eyes on us.

   My stomach dropped. I felt my knees giving way, but an arm went around my waist, giving me a light squeeze. I took in a breath as the Doctor held me and we both descended the steps.

   When we landed at the bottom, the whole band began to play, and couples started to dance.

   As calmly as I could, I pulled the Doctor to a corner.

   "Ok, what is the plan?" I asked.

   "We dance, talk, and act like a couple. When the time is right, we make our move," the Doctor replied.  "Now come on Duchess—" he tilted my head up, brushing a stray hair behind my ear. "The night is young, and you look brilliant."

   My cheeks heated up at his words.

   He gave me a dashing smile and put a hand in mine, leading me out of the shadows and to the middle of the dance floor.

   Glancing around, I saw the grace of all the dancers. Knowing I was not in any way as graceful as them, I felt the panic start to rise. But when I looked to the Doctor, my nerves calmed, and he began to lead me. I followed his movements.

   He spun and dipped me, and soon the dance just flowed.

   I felt like I was on a cloud, his blue eyes making me feel at ease. I laid my head on his chest and we rocked back and forth, not even noticing when the music died until we heard some trumpets sound.

   "Hear ye, hear ye! Entering her royal highness, Queen Elizabeth," someone announced.

   "Oh, shoot," the Doctor muttered.

   I glanced over to see him biting his lip, his anxiety present on his face.

   The Queen passed us, making her way to a stage where her throne was.

   "You know her?" I whispered.

   "We may have encountered one another and got married. Thank the Lord I have regenerated since then. Let's just try to keep our distance from her, though, love," he said, shielding his face with his hand.

   Queen Elizabeth the First told the band to continue on, and the Doctor took my hand and began leading me in another dance.

The hem of my red dress whirled around as he spun me once again.

   The Queen stepped off the stage and began to walk our way.

   Without any notice, the Doctor twirled me to a corner pillar, boxing me in with his arms. In utter shock I yelled out, "Doct—"

   But before I could finish, the Doctor dove his lips into mine, shutting me up instantly. He kissed me passionately.

   My eyes fluttered closed as I melted into his lips.

   His kisses then trailed down to my neck.

   I could not believe this was happening. Yes, I had some feelings for the Doctor, but he was way out of my league.

   His lips then reached my ear where he paused and whispered, "Is she gone?"

   I opened my eyes, looking over his shoulder to see the Queen had made her way to another guest and was talking.

   "Yea, she's...she's gone." I tried to calm my shaky voice. My heart was racing from the kiss, making my voice waver.

   He pulled away, letting me out off the cage of his arms.

   "I do apologize," he said, adjusting his coat. " I did not mean to take you by surprise, it's just she was—"

   "No worries." I smiled, trying to hold in my disappointment that he was playing a part, and that the best kiss I had ever had was all an act.

   We walked back to the dance floor. He had his hand on my lower back when a beautiful brunette in a sky blue gown approached us.

   "You have beautiful hair," she complemented me, running a hand through some of my curls. Her ring must have grabbed a snag, because I felt a slight tug, but thought nothing more of it.

   "Thank you." I smiled.

   She then grabbed the Doctor. "Dance with me," she instructed and yanked the Doctor away.

   I felt immediately naked, like everyone was looking at me with the Doctor no longer by my side. I watched the woman get too close for my comfort, or the Doctor's, by the way he tried to back away from her. I was about to try to get him back when I heard a beautiful song being sung in the distance. I suddenly felt the urge to follow the sound. My legs began to move, pulling me out of the room without my consent. I felt an overwhelming sense of peace as I climbed a hidden staircase into the shadows.

   "Haven! Love, where are you?"

   The Doctors voice did not penetrate my ears. I only heard the alluring voice coming from the darkness.

Written by L.D.