Chapter 9

[Emberbreeze's POV]

The days passed, and before we knew it, it was the day of the gathering. Tinystar had still not even announced who would be heading to the gathering with her, so obviously it made all of us a bit on edge. She had to take some of us, but we had no clue who. 

Finally, our leader stepped up to High Rock and called a meeting. I stretched my legs and headed over to the clearing. I sat near the back, eyeing Lightningstrike as he went to talk to someone else. I wanted to talk to the male, but it was really hard to talk to him. I secretly cared about him, but we never got to talk like we used to when we were apprentices. He had probably changed since we last talked anyways. 

"I have decided who is going to the gathering with me. I will be taking Maplesnow, Shardbreeze, Riversand, Nightscare, Lightningstrike, Swirlpool, Spokenpaw, Nightpaw, Acornpaw, and Silentpaw with me. I believe this is all I will have to take with me to show the force that we had in the clan. Those of you that are going to the gathering, get ready though we do not leave until sunset. I would like all of you in your best shape for later." She let out a small snarl and dismissed the gathering. 

Her speech almost indicated that something may happen at the gathering, but none of us truly knew what would be going on. I looked over to Lightningstrike again. He would be going to the gathering. If something happened, then this could be one of the few times I could talk to him before things get too hectic. 

I walked over to the tan colored tom. He looked at me with that smirk of her was on top of the world. Besides Maplesnow, I was the last kit from Flamefur's first litter that had been left alive from Tinystar's rampant killings. I had to have some standing in the clan, but I was better left to be invisible. Maybe then would Tinystar forget about me and let me live. 

"Hey Emberbreeze, what's up? Disappointed you aren't going to the gathering? I am sure you won't miss much. You know almost nothing ever happens at those old meetings." He tilted his head back with a laugh. His laughter made me feel a bit better, but I still had that feeling of nervousness around him. 

"Oh, it's not that. I just wanted to hang out with you for a bit. We used to hang out a lot when we were apprentices." I commented, trying to force each word out with completion. They did not want to fully form, but I forced it still. I did not want to make a fool of myself. 

"Sure, I have to relax anyways today, so let's go patrol the territory. We can talk then. How about it?" His charming smile could have made me melt, but the way the other cats around him looked at me, all I could do was tense up. He had somehow become popular, and a flirt.