Chapter 20

[Sandywing's POV]

I wanted to ignore what happened at the gathering. Somehow, all the leaders had declared peace during the times of leaf-bare. It still had me on edge as how could we trust them, but it would be okay for now. 

Somehow, I had become Robinheart's mate. I wasn't really sure how it happened, but I cared for the cocky tom. He offered to protect me, and I would protect him as well. I felt bad for his little kit, but the kit ignored him just as much as Robinheart ignored Foxpaw. 

"Sandywing, want to go hunting together?" My mate asked me. I looked over to see the russet colored tom walking up to me. I flicked my tail and agreed to his offer. I could use to stretch my legs, and every time I had been out of the camp recently, I had to bring my apprentice with me. 

I followed him as he walked out of the camp. I walked by his side, admiring the trees. It had not snowed yet this leaf-bare, but it had definitely been cold. I looked to the sky and saw the clouds that covered the sky. It had been like this most of the season so far. It made it seem colder than it should have been. 

I walked closer to my mate, letting him warm me up. He brushed up against me, but wrapped his tail around mine to keep me close. I let out a purr. He had been nice to me, and I had not felt his feelings falter, but I had taken a risk to be with him. I knew that. Sometimes in life you need to take risks. 

As we walked down one of the paths, he suddenly stopped. I paused next to him, looking at him with uncertain eyes. "I want to be able to protect you. I really do. I want to protect who I have left. I will protect you from the Dark Forest. I saw what we can do. We can stand up to Tinystar. We don't have to be afraid anymore." He said in a hushed tone, but I could hear the passion in it. He truly wanted to be able to defend me from the Dark Forest. 

I hesitated to give a response. I was still scared to stand up to Tinystar, but I had seen what happened. Well, I had heard about it, just like Robinheart had. Acornpaw had been able to stand up to her mother in order to defend another apprentice. It had been the first step, but it still scared me. We did not know what repercussions she could be facing at the moment. 

"Let us see how everything plays out first before you say such a rash idea. If things seem to stay on the same path, then I would be okay about fighting against the Dark Forest, but for now it is still too risky. I don't want to risk my life for a small chance that we may be safe." I stated.