New Encounters

VANILLA POV

     "I'll see you after work, mom."

     "Don't forget to stop by the grocery store on your way home."

     "Right. Don't you worry. I'll remember."

     "Okay. I love you, sweetpea."

     "Love you too, mom."

     Here I go. Wow, it's such a nice day out today for a November morning.
     I wonder what being a receptionist will be like. I won't be the errand boy, will I? I don't want to do that.

     "Hmm."

     "Thanks."

     "Hey!"

     Some guy just ran off with my bag. I didn't play chase the voice hearing race at the psych ward for nothing.

     "Get your ass back here."

     And I'm gaining. Look at me go.

     I caught Up to the guy and managed to trip him mid-run. He did a somersault and then landed on his face, unconscious.

     "Thanks for that. Now I'm all sweaty from this. How am I going to look presenta-"

     "New York City Police. Casey Jones...  reporting. You caught the guy. He was just involved in an armed robbery."

     "You sure about that? Cuz this guy just tried to run off with my purse."

     "Seems like he picked the wrong girl to bother. Can I see that bag?"

     "Sure. There should only be my empty wallet and my I.D. And twenty dollars for some groceries."

     "Then it looks like he was trying to use your bag as a carrying case."

     "I'm in trouble, aren't I?"

     "Not if you can answer me this next question. Your I.D. says Vanilla Morgan. That can't be real."

     "It is. My father named me. I go by Nelly, though."

     "Alright, Nelly. Where are you off to this morning?"

     "Work. It-It's my first day. Hey... I recognize you. You're Casey Jones. I saw you on the news a few weeks ago. Man, you've done a lot for the city."

     "Why thank you."

     "The news said that you were promoted to detective."

     "I was. I was at an investigation when this guy ran by. I chased him on foot while the other officers took the squad car. Speaking of. Myers, Sadees. How nice of you to drop by. Here's the suspect. Make sure this gets back to where it belongs."

     "Yes sir."

     The guy he called Myers picked up the body, while the girl he called Sadees grabbed the money.

     "Sorry but we need to take your bag in to custody. I've searched your wallet and you can keep that. But the bag stays with us. I'll bring it to you tomorrow."

     "Alright. Dammit. I'm going to be late for work. Are we done here?"

     "Yes. For now. I'll walk you down."
     "Thanks."

     "Being a part of the police, they should except it as a proper excuse. And I have an inside man."

     "April O'Neil?"

     "Yeah, actually. How did you know that?"

     "TV."

     "They mentioned that on the news?"